FAT Chance Titanium (mid to later 1990s) ( Serrota built? )

tangent

Senior Retro Guru
FAT Chance Titanium (mid to later 1990s Serrota built? )

It’s not mine obvs. and described as ‘early 90s’
I briefly owned one these frames , alongside my 1993 FAT Ti- cannot recall extacLy what the model year for these frames mid - late 1990s. (hopefuly pre 1997 - otherwise am posting in the wrong section)

The fabrication on these frames seemed to be out standing - with lots of extra detail on the tubset - that does not always show up in images.

Hope it finds a nice home - these are exceptional bikes😎

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
FAT Chance Titanium (mid to later 1990s Serrota built? )

It’s not mine obvs. and described as ‘early 90s’
I briefly owned one these frames , alongside my 1993 FAT Ti- cannot recall extacLy what the model year for these frames mid - late 1990s. (hopefuly pre 1997 - otherwise am posting in the wrong section)

The fabrication on these frames seemed to be out standing - with lots of extra detail on the tubset - that does not always show up in images.

Hope it finds a nice home - these are exceptional bikes😎
As good as it gets. Stiff where it needs to be for efficient climbing and confidence inspiring descents, unlike most of the Ti frames of this era. Light due to hand lathed butted tubing and the neatest welds. Nothing rides better than these. These were crazy expensive back in the day - as much as a decent new car. Wish I could have afforded in back then.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It’s definitely not an early one, ‘97+.
Still real sweet mind.
Design is Somerville though like my two 94s. Probably one of the last built before Oct 94 when they closed up and moved to NY. They took a lot of stock when they moved but the serial stamp in defo NY. It will ride like a dream. The NY built Ti frames are a bit softer to ride than these but just as nice. The early monostay ones are more pure race bike and the later a but more GT, if that makes sense. If I had to choose just one its the Somerville made 94. Absolute PERFECTION in a frame.

Last edited:
oops retro apologies seems I posted this in wrong the eara / area…

did I get the Serrotta idea correct? or am I just muxing uo the Sarratoga location ? I need to go look at a later Yo Eddy frame of mine for context…

fully agree about the titanium perfrection achiveved by FAT Chance 😎 feel fortunate to have seen / experienced both examples😎

oops retro apologies seems I posted this in wrong the eara / area…

did I get the Serrotta idea correct? or am I just muxing uo the Sarratoga location ? I need to go look at a later Yo Eddy frame of mine for context…

fully agree about the titanium perfrection achiveved by FAT Chance 😎 feel fortunate to have seen / experienced both examples😎
Its in the correct area no worries. It was probably stamped in 95 in NY and certainly before 96/97 when they changed to a fast-back stay design.

TFM1018 is listed as a 1998 in the frame registry over at Fatcogs & this one comes after that if they were sequential.

Firstly they smoked a lot of wacky backy in those days 😂 and most of the welds on this are 99.% likely to have been done by IROBOT who didn't transfer over to NY. Maybe it sat around for years before it was stamped and sold 🤷🏻‍♂️ Artisan made FAT serials are well known for throwing up anomalies. I had a few of those frames over the years and they pop up on FB quite often, Z serial Yos, X serials, no stamps, serial format changes, double over stamps etc . Many of the ex employees who made the frames and forks still recognise their own handywork by their distinctive welds etc. My 97 is a fastback stay design with canti bridge. By 98/99 the canti bridge was mostly removed for V brakes before disk tabs being added towards the final run era in the early noughties.

Back