F H GRUBB FRAME DECALS

I remember this one now. Spray can black finish with 26 instead of 27 inch wheels ? It is an interesting frame and worth the time to establish whether is is a 'true' Grubb or a Holdsworth. The attached images show adverts from 'Cycling' - one from Jan 1952 - the other from Sept 1952. Both offering Southern Cross frames. If it carries the Anerley SE20 headbadge (Small circular alloy) then it must be a Holdsworth made Grubb albeit a very early one. If it has something different, let's see a picture and we can work from there

Attachments

• Top-020.jpg
    Top-020.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Top-021.jpg
    Top-021.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 238
Re:

Struggling to put pics on here. I've tried to load but it's to big. Can I email you direct

Another frame has now surfaced with a script downtube decal matching that which I had originated last year. We believe this frame was re finished by Grubbs in 1948/1949 at which point this decal would have been applied. I have now seen 3 frames sporting this design but have yet to see a frame with an original decal matching that on the cover of the Grubb 1949/50 catalogue.
See image below - this one being blue with gold outline. The example on my frame is red with gold outline. Details earlier on this thread

Attachments

• 20180215_222702.jpg
    20180215_222702.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 226
Still on the subject of Grubb decals.
It would appear that after Holdsworth launched their Grubb range they used a new script down tube decal (see image below from frame 5172 from approx 1953). It would seem that this decal was used on Holdsworth Grubb frames from approx 1952 - 1957. It would be interesting to establish if there are other frames with this decal from that period, or indeed with a different decal. For example : There was a block capital decal in use at some point during the 50's (different from the one seen on the 1960's Galibier and Tourmalet frames) - Has anyone got a frame like this ? Pictures and frame numbers needed please.
The whole purpose of this thread is to establish a database of correct decals / frames / dates for those who wish to restore as close as possible to the original. I recently had to get a new decal originated for Holdsworth built Claud Butler frames as unbelievably the correct decal was not available.

Attachments

• GRUBB.HOLDSWORTH.1952-57.jpg
    GRUBB.HOLDSWORTH.1952-57.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 133
Back