F.A.O mechanics / clever people, Transit Help

As its FWD its the wheel bearing (as the great cheese said) oooorrr if you put it on full lock (either way) and it clicks its a poxey very small CV joint thats destroying its self

thanks for the replies everyone,

i can sort of see what your saying on the wheel bearings, i.e it might only become so apparent when underload at higher speeds hence the noise going when dipping the clutch, it doesnt go when i decelerate tho at those speeds?

the cv joints etc are all ok tho, i hadnt even noticed this noise until i had a blast up to berlin, around town and on the by pass's etc on a day to day basis there is no problem, its only when she streches her legs on the open road, going at a straight and constant speed :?:

Had a similar issue on a car with the noise going when there was no load, but that was irrespective of speed, and the car had a load more power than a transit. Turned out to be a knackered diff.

plumber mate has the same van, and that has eaten 3 driveshafts, all on nearside......

he says he gets lots af noise and vibes when it starts to go, but didn't mention speed

John

From your description of the problem it has to be gearbox/final drive related. Have you checked the gearbox oil level? Might be a good place to start.

jimihendrix":2v8wye2f said:
legrandefromage":2v8wye2f said:
bearings are funny buggers - when you put the clutch in, you're no longer putting torque through the wheels

New one on me :?

I only mention it as my 2001 Mondeo had the 16v 115bhp diesel and went to 378,000 miles on its original gearbox/ engine/ turbo. The diff was loose but passed the MOT, the only time I got a noise like you describe was when a bearing started to play up.

The rear calipers were original and seized one after the other at 300,000 and melted my hubcaps.... :p

Back