Explain the UK scene, in your words, your history

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
the UK "scene" (i hate that word . . . so sorry)

anyway, recently i have noticed there have been differences of opinion and i believe it stems from a different understanding of the history of mountain biking, the US market, the UK market, when, where, who etc.

this thread is mainly aimed for the UK guys to write and the US guys to read, maybe there could be a opposite to this thread from the US side?

what i would like in this thread is for YOU to explain your views on why you like the brands you like, why you are drawn to those brands, who do you respect in this business? UK and USA brands that were about at the time.

I don't want this to turn into an us against them argument thread, that's not the point, i want this thread to be YOUR POINT OF VIEW, and your point of view is just that! yours! a personal history if you will.

I will start to give you an idea of what i mean.

hopefully if this thread is treated with respect (NO SPAMMING PLEASE) the US guys might understand the UK scene a little better (and i don't mean that in a condescending way) because to us it wasn't all about the same stuff as it was to you guys.

----------------------------------------------------------------

i started riding offroad on my first (BSO) mountain bike around 1988, basic, heavy, 10speed, utter rubbish! :LOL:

after a time i graduated to a muddy fox seeker :cool: a Uk brand that was big at the time, my first REAL mountain bike, i did a huge amount of riding on this bike and when it was stolen i was lucky enough to get a muddy fox alu pro. this was 1990, i didn't know anything at this point about anything american, at that point it didn't occur to me where the brand was from. muddy fox was advertised alot and was perceived to be the cool brand. to a 16 year old kid it was. when i started college i discovered a higher end shop (GA cycles the shop that 15 years later i managed) it was this shop that i first came across Orange, Offroad, GT, Specialized, Cannondale, Marin, and Kona. all brands from across the water, except 1.

i liked some but not others, in all honesty some (well maybe most) of it was based on asthetics. typical of a young guy to be fair.

i didn't need a new bike at that time as i still had the alu pro but i did set about upgrading. first was a pair of mag 20 forks. i didn't like manitou or pace, i felt that rockshox offered more performance for the money. after that i decided i'd try full suspension, there weren't many sensibly priced frames at that point but i got an Offroad proflex 552 (same as matt browns new project) frame from GA's then did a frame swap, i was the first person i knew with a full suspension bike and i loved it! :D

after this i got a road bike to train on and became pretty fit as i rode 32 miles to work 4 days a week and decided to try racing, i thought a hardtail would be better for me so i went to GA's again and that's when i got my explosif, this was 94, again it was a frame only, 92 model so i frame swapped again.

i won my first race on that bike :cool: :cool: by 3 minutes on a 12mile race :D :cool:

after this bike the next i got after a winter of no MTB as i sold the explosif (i felt at the time i needed to replace it) was my first Orange, a 1996 P7 nickel plated xt/xtr middleburn/x-lite mix with judy's upfront. :cool: i loved that bike, as much as i liked the ride of the Kona, i found the P7 better. even today (i have the original explosif back and i have aquired a 95 P7) i prefer the ride of the P7.

that's about as much of my history is needed, after that i think we are out of the era of bikes we're talking about, but having said that, after this i got in the bike trade, a GT/Giant dealer mostly, i had to sell the P7 cos we didn't sell them and the boss wanted me to ride a Zaskar (no bad thing but i liked the P7) i eventually went on to run GA's which was by then selling Orange, Cannondale, Marin, Fausto Coppi, Mongoose, Santa Cruz. this re united me with Orange bikes so it wasn't long before i had one! :LOL:

i feel this explains the choices i have made in the bikes i now choose to restore, mostly Orange! ;) :D not only that Oranges are good frames with relatively small number runs and they can go so cheap which is sort of good and bad! Also it explains the era i choose as my period of interest, the early to mid 90's, i never really liked the 80's stuff, the 90's stuff became a little more racey and i thought that was better.

also through most of this time(90 to 97) i didn't have an awareness of Cunningham, fat chance (and it's history), i hadn't seen klein's, yo eddy's, bonty's etc in anything other than a pic in a magazine, i didn't know what they were, how much they cost, why they were special to people and why they were considered relevant in a big way.

May be this explains to the US guys why the UK guys might vote for a Kona explosif over the Cunningham last month for example, we didn't/don't know about them, but if we did but it wasn't available to us would we have voted for it?

What i am saying is the American brands other than the stuff that became mainstream from 1990 onwards effectively had no meaning to me (and also wasn't generally available even if you could afford it!) And that's not being rude, how can you find something relevant or special if you never heard of it?!

also the mags tried to push UK brands, components aswel, middleburn was our crankset of choice, x-lite was our bike candy.

also i think the UK riders aspired to riding XTR whereas by comparison with the UK the US had a myriad of CNC parts makers to choose from and we had only a few. frame wise we had maybe 1 or 2 to each of the US's 20 custom builders, you had more choice of stuff we didn't know existed and you could get it without import taxes!

since i have been on this site i have seen some fantastic american brands, some i had heard of over the years and some i still up until 3 or 4 years ago hadn't heard of that were house hold US names.

i have developed an interest in Fat Chance (but haven't bought yet as i am paranoid that i might not like the ride and it will cost me alot to find out!! :LOL: ) also i would love to have an E stay bike amongst others, these are things i have found the interest in because of this site not because of what i liked back in the day.

that's got to be a compliment surely . . . to the american brands and to retrobike.co.uk

:D

jonnyboy666":3pvj83w6 said:
Re: Explain the UK scene, in your words, your history

No idea.

I started in the french scene.

'87.

Them cats is crazy - and they make the best frames to boot.

I understand many of their innovations are now widely copied throughout the world and were a major influence on USA and UK riders / builders.

Mais oui Monsieur, mais oui.

BB

edit: just noticed my post count (Posts: 4567) how tres tres funky...

Paul Smith. One of the reasons why I bought my first (of many) San Ans......and switched to a Vans/DX platforms combo.

237091063_45e0c2e2dd_o.jpg

Good plan Johnyboy.

My biking started in 1989, the first bike was a Townsend, (Cheap UK brand), Chrome steel rims and 18 speed as I remember. The budget was tight (I was 13) and it took me a while to choose the most bike for my buck. The frame wasn't bad, a lugged cro-mo steel affair - heaps better that a Raleigh Lizard or Mustang and it wasn't a ridiculous size, (at that time most UK shops were used to selling road bikes to gangly teenagers and many poor sods ended up on a 22" monster MTB that their parents had been assured 'they would grow into'! My Townsend was pink and white and was gradually upgraded with cast offs from my Dads bikes such as alloy wheels index gears and such until it met its end head on into a tree at full pelt. Bent forks, top tube and down tube. :cry:

Insurance payout of £80. :D

I had a saturday job fixing bikes in a local bike shop - not the flashy variety but the kind where the max value of a bike was £300 and that was a special order. My time was spent setting up shit brakes on new bikes so they wouldn't kill anyone and trying to fix some Granny's shopper for less than the £5 that the whole bike was worth. Still I learnt a lot and had a loyalty to the shop and so the next frame was bought from there........ a Raleigh Moonrun, Reynolds 501, lugged, oversize forks. Actually not bad - not fast but comfy and nice to ride. This got upgraded further - Flexstem Mavic m6CD wheels, better gears, (more cast offs!).

At this time I lusted after one brand - GT - no reason but I loved the 91 Avalanche, after lots of hint dropping my Dad stepped in and bought me a .......... 1991 Outpost. Not sure why by this frame replaced my Moonrun, silly really the Raleigh was better if less cool and a lot lighter!

Eventually the error of my ways became apparent - the GT was heavy it got replaced by a Hooger Booger, (a cheap F&F from the cool local bike shop who persuaded me it was a Scott...... I think they are loosely related?), it was a nice enough frame and did me well for the next couple of years until I inherited Dads Nigel Dean Nevada when he got a Marin IFT.

Then came the Suzuki TS50X with a DP exhaust and a 65CC 'big bore' kit and pedalling was very yesterday!

In terms of bikes I aspired to the better off kids at school had a mix of Orange Clockworks, Saracens, Kona's and my Dads mates had a similar mix with some Treks Scotts and Marins thrown in for good measure. I don't think that I ever considered where they were made - it didn't matter really, doesn't now - they were all more trendy that whatever I had so I just used to get on and ride what ever that was as much as I could.

Some bikes such as Pace RC100, Yetis, Salsa's Bontys etc were things that only existed in mags and my bedroom wall I had never seen one and didn't ever expect to. Now I found this site and I'm skint. :cry:

GA cycles in the mid 90s. We must have met MANY times...

A mate of mine had a Muddy fox, and convinced me to come out for a ride, that must have been 92-3 (still at school), that was on my raleigh lizard (Very BSO). shortly after, I got my own pathfinder as a birthday present. It spiralled from there, but always on a shoestring.

The pathfinder didn't last long, got a merlin cycles Malt one, and then bought some rockshox Judy XCs, and a nice 2nd hand trek 8700 frame (from GA).

My wishlist came from the bikes & parts in GA (mainly the Konas, oranges and cannondales), but also from MBUK. As Johnnyboy said, The american exotica never really made it to the new forest, so I never lusted after it. British built bits had the 'drool factor'.

My riding was sundays with the local club (New FORCe),and jumping/trials type larking around the rest of the time.

Got sick on the late 90s and had to stop cycling. My retro build is my first step towards getting back on a bike :cool:

I also worked in GA's in the early/mid ninties. Bought my Cannondale F2000, GT Zaskar LE in there :) Happy days.

My MTB story starts oddly with an American. Near to where we lived was a US Air Force base. It was the early 90's and things were cooling off between the Russians and US so the air base was sending some of its staff home. A guy a few houses down who worked at the base gave me his old MTB as he didn't want to take it back home. Nothing special, a Diamond Back of some description but it was enough to get me started. One thing lead to another and I bought a Trek 930. A bit boring you may think but the quality of the steel frame shone through the crappy components. Joined WASPS (Welwyn and Stevenage Pedalers) which meant regular night rides, races and weekends away. Bought my Parkpre Pro Image direct from the UK importers. It was an ex-demo bike from some magazine bike tests. Bought a Cannondale f900 which was an impulse buy during a weekend break in Bristol. Discovered Retrobike and the rest is history.

What a good idea for a thread!

My first proper bike, and first MTB was a blue Shogun TrailBreaker II

I had that bike for 2 years, during which time it got upgraded to mavic 231CD rims, some smattering of DX and a SunTour GPX road rear mech (because I could not afford XT and wanted short cage), did the 1991 and 1992 Quantock Crackers on that bike!
That got stolen and I had some money from working in a bike shop etc and got a 1992 Dyna Tech Quantum, quickly ditched the RockShox and put rigids on it. Cheddar Challenge and big weekly rides ensued, I liked it so much I bought a Dyna Tech Road bike (which I still have).
The Quantum was stolen from me in mid 1995 and in the september I went to sea, didn't touch bikes agin until 1997 when I bought my Orange Clockwork (which I also still have) but not liking the new kit basicaly built a 1994 era bike in 1997. I was retro before retro even happened! :LOL:

As for the scene...

Earliest memories of bike lust were for high end steel Raleigh road bikes with 600 groupsets in pre MTB days.
MTB wise, influenced much by the (rightly) partisan British press I lustued after Orange, Pace and Dyna Techs.
Many of the US brands were unavailible or totally out of my price range, I do remember the LBS having an American M16 in purple ano in the window (which took a year to sell, the ano faded and it was discounted!).
The obligatory 'rich mate' had a Proflex, then a Cannondale M1000 and finally a Pace RC200F1 bought for him, I was dead jealous and promised myself one day I would get one.

For me a lot of pride was always taken in my bikes being British. The US builders were the true pioneers, and did a great deal of good. But give me an Orange over a Bontrager or a Pace over a Klein any day.
Personal preference.

Cheers. :D

ShogunTBIIme.jpg

DynaTechCheddar.jpg

CheddarClimb.jpg

DynaTech405Ti.jpg

this is perfect. just what i wanted.

reasons why we ride what we ride, also i'm glad that people seem to agree that the US stuff just wasn't around overhere, hence our lack of knowledge about it, until later.

keep it coming :)

It all started for me at the British 500cc Motocross Grand Prix at Hawkstone Park back in 1990. I was and still am a mad keen motocross fanatic and was there to watch the greats of the era Thorpe, Jobe, Nicoll and Martens do battle on the famous Shropshire sand. During the interval they would usually play some duff music from Tina Turner etc but on this occassion their was a bit of entertainment, mountain biking. This was a free to enter race of 1 lap of the Grand Prix circuit in reverse, the winner won a bike. It was slow and ultimately a bit boring to watch after seeing the mx, but I liked the idea and loved the thrill of seeing them take on the huge and steep Hawkstone hill.

In the trade stands that day were importers such as Bert Harkins displaying the bikes from brands like Scott and alpinestars. As the proud owner of a set of alpinestars boots for riding my Honda XR 80 I mentally made a be line for the alpinestars machinery in all its luminous livery. I did like the Scott bikes and indeed I wore Scott googles, but alpinestars were cooler.

Knowing nothing about mountain bikes as i'd always ridden BMX my mum took me to the local Raleigh dealer for a mtb for Christmas, I plumped for thr fashionable (amongst 11-12 year olds) Raleigh Mustang ATB in purple. It was a dog but I enjoyed the freedom it gave me.

Roll the clock forward a year or two further and I had the cash to buy a proper bike. I worshipped the magazines and read all the reports, but oddly I still wanted an alpinestars, the double page spread of that 1991 al-mega XT still burns bright even today. I could just afford a 1992 cro-mega LX and so Leisure Lakes Bury ordered me one in. In the shop i tried a stunning Ferrari red cro-mega DX, looking back I wish i'd had the extra £75 or whatever the difference was.

That was it for me, I'd quit schoolboy motocross as my Dad was struggling during the recession and this was my new past time. I soon started racing at leisure Lakes Southport and in local Manchester events. My last race was close tpo the Pilkington factory next to the M60, I absolutely blasted it from start to finish, finishing 5th. Can't explain why I stopped then, but suspect girls, booze and music had something to do with it.

Back