Explain fork offset and boost?

I think it’s the ‘holy sh+t’ moments of getting it wrong on a modern bike, and if you are on a bike which needs 42mm offset and has 42mm forks on it, then you are left with ‘how on earth did I get out of that…?’ …rather than going over the bars. I indeed have wheel flop on the bFe Max but the weirdness of that disappears after about 10 mins and when I get into big hits and drop offs I really value the wheel being WAAAY out there in front of me…..

I'd very much agree with this. It's rare that a month passes without me thanking my lucky stars I'm on a modern geo frame with massive hoops due to some temporary lapse in concentration/reason and the bike rescuing me from my foolishness. I'm more than slightly glad that such bikes did not exist when I was a young'un as I suspect I'd have got myself into a lot more trouble as when things go wrong while riding a modern bike, they really go bad usually due to an excess of speed/stupidity.

I agree with the wheel out in front thing, being further behind the front axle makes OTBs much less likely! With a 71° head, a 135mm stem and a short top tube,as soon as you tipped into a steep slope you were halfway over the bars already!

Back