Expected cost for a powder coat?

Thanks for the info. I'd probably need to post the frame/forks off but that's not a problem.

I'm in two minds as to whether to go for a metallic finish as my plan is to let the kids paint pictures on the frame once done then lacquer over (myself probably).

I was thinking of just a plain white frame/forks and perhaps painting a stem the same colour too, though I've always fancied a turquoise and/or pink bike for some reason.

What to do?

So who did the job for £30?

This will be a keeper so want a good and robust finish.

ishaw":97wahvbz said:
Thanks for the info. I'd probably need to post the frame/forks off but that's not a problem.

Have you asked local coaters?
While looking for soda locally I found a place near the rectangular roundabout in Thornton Heath that was up
for selling me a bag of soda. He did commercial coating but stocked special effect powders, I didn't ask him
if he coated bikes and parts.
Might be worth looking him up, at least you can go along and look at something he has coated, and you
don't have to box up a frame and send it off.

Re:

Just a heads up on LSN coatings that xerxes mentioned. They recently coated my Orange P7 satin black for £30. Was happy with finish, then noticed rear wishbone was full of tiny holes. OK internal rust not any fault of the powder coaters, shot blasting made the holes though and they should not have continued to powder coat. Owner just denied all knowledge of holes when I later phoned about the matter.

Had owned the frame from new in 1994, so was a little gutted. Ended up with some nicely coated scrap metal.

I now have another P7 frame purchased from ebay, was powder coated black by previous owner. Finish is not as good and it's more a gloss than satin finish. Looks like it was dipped in thick tar. In future unless the frame was just a cheap hack I didn't really care about, I would take it for a proper respray to Bob Jackson's.

Back