Entering another compatibility spiral vortex…..

Over here on most sites 35 bars are still pretty much a rarity. Most sites I use to buy stuff here don't stock 35mm bars. I wonder if it'll become the new standard?

I only tried a 31.8 this year, and I can't really tell the difference other than they just feel more rigid. Still feels OK though. Oversize MX bars these days are like 29ish mm and they're holding up to some serious abuse. I don't see why people need 31.8 nevermind 35mm on bicycles.

Reactions: CTK
I'll be sticking with 31.8mm. 35mm looks wrong to me.
Have also heard that they are "too stiff".
Still have one road bike with the 25.8mm standard.

I'm looking for a picture but I'm sure 31.8mm quill stem was available, called 'the big one' or something like that ITM or some such.

Late 80s model, 'bulge bar'?

The sub-world of modern standards is a frustrating and restrictive one. I bought a lovely wheelset with microspline, so I thought I would move to 12 speed. Which meant new mech. And new shifter. And then I found that also meant a new chainring. Ands that meant a new crank….argh….purchasing spIral…

Then…bought a 35 by 35 stem…argh…entering another compatibility vortex…..
🤣

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
rationale for 35mm = stiffer (more precise steering); lighter (thinner walls since large diameter - the Cannondale and Klein 'coke can thick' theory re tubing).

Only that's not exactly how it has panned out in practice....

Good carbon bars are fantastic things. As others, I’m still running 31.8mm on my modern bikes I just didn’t feel the difference on 35mm.

Things have always changed and caused compatibilty issues, part of the fun of being a ‘hands on’ cyclist is, and has always been, finding the work arounds….. I tell myself 😜
It's what coke cans, I mean shims are for.

Back