English cycles 'Special' - Jeremy Torr

GrahamJohnWallace":3o4o1x1g said:
Here's another "Rat" photo:
I remember that it had plastic rims.

When you say "plastic" rims , were they ACS Z rims? I know they did 20" and 24" but did they do 26" ones? or is that front a 24"?

Gruff":2dhgg6y1 said:
GrahamJohnWallace":2dhgg6y1 said:

When you say "plastic" rims , were they ACS Z rims? I know they did 20" and 24" but did they do 26" ones? or is that front a 24"?
The front wheel on the Rat was 26" and the rear 20". And yes they were Z-rims.
I remember them also being used on some US style mountain bikes. Probably ones being sold by Bike-UK in London. Jeremy said that his next version of the Rat was to have a 24" rear wheel. Though I don't know if he ever made such a bike he did advertise a model called the Ratus in 1986, but fitted with more traditional Araya rims.

GrahamJohnWallace":7ojd1q6l said:
Gruff":7ojd1q6l said:
GrahamJohnWallace":7ojd1q6l said:

The front wheel on the Rat was 26" and the rear 20". And yes they were Z-rims.
I remember them also being used on some US style mountain bikes. Probably ones being sold by Bike-UK in London. Jeremy said that his next version of the Rat was to have a 24" rear wheel. Though I don't know if he ever made such a bike he did advertise a model called the Ratus in 1986, but fitted with more traditional Araya rims.

My Eclipse Canyon LTD from Bike UK (built by JT, incidentally) had 26" ACZ Z-rims. They were rubbish - even Aztec pads did nothing more than scrape any mud off the rim without having any effect on speed. I swapped them for alloys asap until Mavic M4's came out. They were crap too but for a different reason!

Back in 86/87 I worked in a shop called Bell Street Bikes in London NW1. Bell Street Bikes sold a tourer called the BSB 400 and an ATB called the BSB Blazer. That bike reminds me strongely of a bike built for Nick one of the owers. Pretty sure it isn't 'the bike' as I think it had a smaller frame but that is very close with the sloping top tube and drum brakes. May be worth asking if the builder built the blazer frames.

Back