Energy and trail survival, drinks and Food ???

Electrolyte drinks help on hot sweaty rides. I get stomach cramps with Gatorade, so I use Vitalyte(used to be Gookinade), which has much less carbs and more electrolytes.

I do like the pub option tho. :D :D :D

I'm so glad I asked cos of all the various different replies, really interesting to see how other riders deal with fuels. There isn't a technique I dislike yet, I know the GF was impressed by the idea of a bike tea flask. How cool is that, top of the mountain and a cuppa to celebrate. One for the Christmas list. ;)

I like the idea of a bottle full of special juice and a regular water camelbak to get started, specially as its now cold(er)

I actually picked up some SIS blackcurrant flavour 'Electrolyte' yesterday. It was an accident as I picked up PSP22 but a last minute jerk change I got blackcurrant in the wrong product. Doh! Thing putting me off is Aspartame, never liked the stuff in Sort drinks, get a tickly closed throat. So might have to see if owt is better for a swap or just down the stuff! :D

There is a fair bit of talk of Lucozade which is encouraging as its easy to get and I usually like the flavour/drink. Same with shop bought cereal bars.

I usually have a can of Red Bull on the way in the car before riding, during the long ride, just some energy bars and a banana do the trick, drink wise is just water in camelbak and water/juice in water bottle, when finished the the riding, make sure have some food and plenty of drink before driving home.

I have been told peanuts can help to keep your energy levels up, will try that next time.

as has been mentioned earlier the SIS products are excellent
If you are willing to try a sports drink do try "Go" by SIS.
It uses electrolytes and fine carbs it is maltodextrin and fructose based not sugar based carbs.

The electrolytes are the clever bit as they keep you hydrated.

I also use the classic banana and will have a couple of gels to get me through any problems if I do start to lose touch with the other riders. An SIS gel is a 20min kick up the arse.

;]

Also carry a tube or two of Nestles Condensed Milk :p 70p from Tescos. :cool: (can also add it to your tea if not sweet enuff alreddy)

Not Hi Tech but tastes better than gel and also gives the 20 min kick :p :p

I really struggled not to mention that banana/@rse scenario :oops:

Back