Educating Peachy-90’s Campagnolo Brifters set-up help needed

Re:

Even if its the wrong mech it would just be imprecise, it shouldn't shift to the big cog and then slip back down a few all by itself.

It does sound like theres a problem with the brifter. But before you rip it apart, did you click the thumb shiter a few times to get to the end of the range before clamping the cable?

That said, i agree that the indexing is highly unlikely to work accurately without a compatible rear mech.

The wrong mech will overshift and undershift and be all over the place leading to the shifter behaving as if its bust.

Put the right mech on and it will be fine.

I betcha!

Fine!

allenh":5lac9qjk said:
When shifting are the lever clicks nice and clicky or are they a bit indistinct?

There's a couple of springs in a lot of Campag brifters that hold the ratchet and they break,if that's the case they're not that bad to replace and should still be available.
The lever is very indistinct, which is why I’m thinking it is the problem….

legrandefromage":5lac9qjk said:
Its the wrong mech!
I’ve got an 8 speed Shimano indexed mech and trigger, so I’m going to use both independently to see where the main problem is.

howlindawg":5lac9qjk said:
Even if its the wrong mech it would just be imprecise, it shouldn't shift to the big cog and then slip back down a few all by itself.
It does sound like theres a problem with the brifter. But before you rip it apart, did you click the thumb shiter a few times to get to the end of the range before clamping the cable?
Yup, exactly what I thought, perhaps my description wasn’t concise enough in the first place, but yes, this is way more than some awkward shifting.
As for initial shifter position, I had hoped that might have been the problem, so I checked and checked again the release. All was as it should be.

Re:

FYI modern SRAM is also not cross-compatible across the range. I tried to pair up some low-end GripShift with an Apex 10 speed mech and it was a no-go. I spent ages faffing with indexing and in the end bought a low-end (X4?) mech and then had perfect shifting every time.

SP

undo the cable and just hold the cable itself whilst shifting - that will tell you if the shifter is bust

8 clean shifts up and down should mean its fine.

Campagnolo was never the clickiest sounding shifter but they are normally quite hard to break

legrandefromage":3ccr2ovh said:
undo the cable and just hold the cable itself whilst shifting - that will tell you if the shifter is bust

8 clean shifts up and down should mean its fine.

Campagnolo was never the clickiest sounding shifter but they are normally quite hard to break

Just popped out to the workshop.... 7 distinct clicks/steps going down, with 3 maybe 4 messy/odd sounds going up.
I’ll try the Shimano mech tomorrow

A shimano mech will be a bit useless if connected to the campagnolo ergos - cable pull and reach will be all wrong

My other worry lying here listening to the birdsong (I wish the missus wouldn't do karaoke at 7am) is the cassette

Campagnolo 8 is supposed to be 5mm, and they did have ramped cassettes too, if its 4.8mm, it may lead to further crappy shifting.

legrandefromage":qvtxs13f said:
A shimano mech will be a bit useless if connected to the campagnolo ergos - cable pull and reach will be all wrong

My other worry lying here listening to the birdsong (I wish the missus wouldn't do karaoke at 7am) is the cassette

Campagnolo 8 is supposed to be 5mm, and they did have ramped cassettes too, if its 4.8mm, it may lead to further crappy shifting.

Shhhhh, rest now, becalm yourself... it’s ok. The lever is broken. :D

Without having them in hand to try myself I don't want to categorically say its the spring but it does sound suspiciosly like its either the springs or the carrier, both snap (springs more often than carriers) and are quite cheap and easy to replace, once you've done a couple that is as the first one can induce what my Nan would have called high language..

I've usually got some here as I always service used Campg brifters in this way when I get them as its such a common issue with them but having had a look I'm out myself.

There are two versions of the earlier Campag units so different sets of part numbers, if you google Campagnolo Ergo repair you should find the repair manuals, exploded diagrams, part numbers and videos you need.

allenh":2sophcrl said:
Without having them in hand to try myself I don't want to categorically say its the spring but it does sound suspiciosly like its either the springs or the carrier, both snap (springs more often than carriers) and are quite cheap and easy to replace, once you've done a couple that is as the first one can induce what my Nan would have called high language..

I've usually got some here as I always service used Campg brifters in this way when I get them as its such a common issue with them but having had a look I'm out myself.

There are two versions of the earlier Campag units so different sets of part numbers, if you google Campagnolo Ergo repair you should find the repair manuals, exploded diagrams, part numbers and videos you need.

Thanks Allen, that's very helpful & yes on closer inspection it does look like the spring is the culprit.

And thank you LGF, yes the Campagnolo cassette is 5mm, I double checked.

Tests this morning were;
Shimano 8sp rear + Campy Brifter = same problem
Shimano 8sp rear + Shimano 8sp trigger = perfectly fine
Campy rear + Shimano 8sp trigger = operational-ish, but not what you’d call smooth by a long chalk

So, I’m scanning ebay for an appropriate rear Campy and then a search for a spring.

Latest posts

Back