Eddy Merckx Professional Aero, Campagnolo 50th Anniversary

DK5

Retro Newbie
1983 Eddy Merckx Professional Aero with complete 50th Anniversary Group (#2063)

Please view the over 100 full-sized HD pictures that can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/34H0y

Frame size: 51 cm (c-c)
Top tube: 52,5 cm (c-c)
Head tube: 10 cm
Stem size: 11 cm (c-c)

Frame color: red (with a mix of purple)
Tubing: Columbus SL steel (custom)

This is a custom order Eddy Merckx Professional Aero with a complete 50th Anniversary Group, save the down-tube shifters which were originally replaced because the ICS type are more ergonomic. The bike has been family-owned (one owner) since new and seen little use.

Following parts are guaranteed NOS:
- NOS Mavic S.S.C. Rims (front and rear, with original decals) with NOS 50th Anniversary Hubs (front and rear) and NOS 50th Anniversary quick release skewers (front and rear). The tubular tires have NOT been glued to allow the new owner to mount another pair of his liking if he so chooses.
- NOS 50th Anniversary toe clips
- NOS Regina Oro Freewheel, 6 Speed
- NOS Sachs Oro Chain

The bike was ridden using a pair of Mavic GP4 Rims with Campagnolo Hubs and Christophe toe clips, which is why the parts listed above are all new / NOS and have just been mounted recently for this particular sale.

As mentioned above, the bicycle features a custom order aero frame, featuring all-internal cable routing for the brakes and gears and custom metallic paint that fades into the chrome of the rear stays. Underneath the paintwork the frame is fully chromed. The paintwork ist 100% original with not one single touch-up or restoration having been undertaken on the whole frame. There are absolutely no dents, rust, pickles in the chrome, etc. of any kind on the frame. All the tiny little knicks of time have been protocolled extensively in the over 100 HD pictures.

All parts are guaranteed original and have not been replaced / modified. These include:
- original pair of hoods
- original bar tape and bar ends
- original Alfredo Binda toe straps
- original Selle San Marco Rolls saddle (date code: 1983)
- original 3TTT stem and Competizione handlebars
- original T.A. bottle cage
- original ergonomic, chrome-plated ICS modified Campagnolo Super Record Shifters with leather inlays
- original decals

The bicycle has been mechanically inspected and serviced by the kind and incredibly knowledgeable guys over at Cicli Scampi Zürich. They house an indescribable collection of vintage bikes and parts. Check out their webpage and online-store for some absolute masterpieces at:

http://www.scampi-cicli.com/index.html

The NOS parts were recently mounted for the first time. The drivetrain received fresh lube and the gears and brakes were adjusted accordingly. The bicycle is fully serviced and ready to use as-is.
The frame and group set show very very little blemishes and wear, which have been protocolled in-depth in over 100 full-size HD pictures that I have taken and can be viewed here:

http://imgur.com/a/34H0y

I hope the pictures suffice. I have tried to show-case all blemishes and to take a picture from every possible angle. Further pictures can be requested.

The bike is currently located in Zurich, Switzerland.
International shipping is possible and not included in the price. Please contact me for a quote.

Asking price: 3600 GBP + shipping

KwL5wrvh.jpg

2laX7yfh.jpg

L1RBOYTh.jpg

k6DnEUah.jpg

NhSXpQbh.jpg

SfASKoVh.jpg

rLp5i9Oh.jpg

hD4J2UCh.jpg

JeM0lG8h.jpg

EF6Dqzoh.jpg

A0ptSQLh.jpg

I would also be happy about opinions pertaining to the price or if you could point me in the right direction where the bike could get adequately appraised on this forum?

Thank you :)

Lovely bike. I would say shame it's too small for me, but it's a bit too rich too.
There is a special thread for valuations here. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=46710
But I'm not sure how good an answer you will get tbh. There are a lot more knowledgeable folk than me on here though so post up and see what comes through.
GLWTS.

Thank you very much for the constructive answer. Such feedback is not always customary and I am definitely not taking it for granted!

Best regards,
Denis

Re:

It's absolutely stunning. You couldn't ride it, of course - it belongs up on the wall above the mantle piece to be adored in it's present condition forever!

Price wise, I'd pay no more than £2000 but then what else new can you buy for that these days?! And it going to be black....and matte black at that!! :roll:

This Eddy Merckx however, is very nice indeed.

:cool:

As I am here ... per definition I don't think an "asking price" is fixed, especially when it comes to something so subjective as a 30+ year old road bike with an Anniversary Group which is impossible to appraise adequately as I've noticed (but comes to no surprise really...). The bike is ultimately worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what I'm asking ;)

I have a closer connection to this particular bike by far and so perhaps the price is too high?? I have practically received little feedback to go off of. Were I purchasing something in my size, I could care less where it was coming from, so long as it were my frame size and appealed to me.

I am hereby officially open to reasonable offers :)

The sad thing is you would get a better price and be more likely to sell if you split it. There will be people who would love the frame but can't afford the 50th groupo, and there are always people looking for the components.

If you really want to sell and are prepared to do so for market value this is what to do. Put a seven or nine day listing (or listings if you split) on ebay with good photos, well described, well titled, international postage options, a decent finish time with a 1p start, no reserve, and highlight the auctions on our auction watch page and likewise on other forums. And don't lose your bottle if the price is too low towards the end of the auction. Sought after items always jump right at the very end.

Back