Ebay u.s. team fat chance yo eddy

sylus

Old School Grand Master
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interesting that he virtually admits that he will do exactly that in his eBay description.

Seller says "There is NO RESERVE and will let it sell at the going market price which I would say will be around $1,000 or so."

I guess he doesn't realize that the "going market price" is the price that the market will pay as long as he is willing to let the auction come to its natural conclusion, instead of pulling the auction before it ends because the high bid wasn't as high as had hoped it would go. That said, I wonder if his statement would be a violation of eBay's rules if he admitted that he kept pulling the auction for that reason. By continually pulling the auction, is he trying to prompt people to put in a large bid early?

If he's that worried that he won't get his price, the cheapskate should either pay the fee for a reserve price auction or set a high ($1,000) price for the initial bid. I wonder if the auction costs that he's thus far accrued from repetitive relistings add up to more than the cost of a single reserve auction?

Sure, it's a nice bike, and it may well go for more than $1k if he simply lets the auction clock run out, but he obviously doesn't want to take the chance (no pun intended) that he might not get his price. Perhaps he doesn't realize that the high bid for desirable items on eBay typically stays low until the last 60 seconds or so and then suddenly and dramatically increases exponentially as all of the lurkers and snipers who were laying low and waiting for the opportunity to strike suddenly pop out of hiding and take their shots.

It seems to be happening more, or maybe it's just happening to me more.

I think it's starting to make me a little blasé about bidding on some bikes on the assumption they'll be pulled anyway, so I don't have to worry about whether I can afford it.

Latest posts

Back