eBay - getting better for buyers, worse for sellers?

Ebay is getting bloody daft..absolutely no protection for sellers and yet the sellers are the people paying for all the services.

ededwards":3kcnpps7 said:
Why don't I just send him the money and enough to build a new bike, perhaps adding a few euros for the bike to be assembled by the LBS :twisted: ?

I don't think that's very Christian of you. The least you could do is select the finest velocipede from your collection, give it a jolly good service, fly out to Belgium with it and hand it over to the chap. You could then move in with him and act as his personal soigneur,domestique and mechanic. You would of course have to beat yourself for every puncture he ever got as they would be your fault, who else would be to blame? After every ride you should volunteer to clean his bike, including the chain, with your own tooth brush, before reading the little fellow Belgian cycling magazines whilst he dozes away the excesses of the day.

Once you've had your glass or two of wine, make an image of a Belgian and stick pins in it. If your drawing/craft skills aren't up to it, down load a picture of Poirot of the net and stick it on the dart board.

I got stuffed over a similar problem - I HAD PROOF OF DELIVERY but still lost the item ( an expensive Pioneer car stereo), my money and eventually my paypal account that I'd had trouble free for 5 years.

Even recorded doesnt help.

I send big stuff via DHL as its cheap via Parcel2go and the driver themselves confirm delivery which simply cant be argued against.

Yup, now if you seem y listing, for anything that is half decent, insurance is compulsory . .
And when I added this option, listing on thursday, there was a little ebay not saying that this option would soon no longer be available. I ASSUME this is as its about to become mandatory. . ? I couldn't find any info on ebay.
Sorry to hear the woe, its not uncommon.
Ebay is now a quite expensive way to sell, you'll lose well over 10% of monies in costs and fees, andthats a lot. . . but it is convenient, and reaches a wider audience. .

But if you bought something online, not from eBay, say CRC, you wouldn't be too impressed if it didn't show up and their response was "We have proof of postage."

You would get your money back or get another one sent to you.

retrojon":3gmhzi1v said:
But if you bought something online, not from eBay, say CRC, you wouldn't be too impressed if it didn't show up and their response was "We have proof of postage."

You would get your money back or get another one sent to you.

The problem isn't stuff not showing up, it's scrote bags saying stuff didn't show up when it did, but because you have no proof (ie not sent recorded delivery etc) paypay take the money from the seller and refund the buyer, the buyer in effect steals your goods and this is a very common practice!

And as a secondary point, most of us are just selling second hand goods in a car boot style way, we are not traders like CRC and all the legal implicications that go with it.

oh and elite504, read my thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54372 the fees are a lot more than 10%, more like 25% :shock:

To be fair I don't know for sure that the item did turn up but am mainly peeved at
1) Buyer only waited 10 days after I advised that I had posted (which was the day after payment received) to file a dispute with no prior contact or since. Seems hasty given I was sending outside of the UK.
2) Burden of proof is entirely on seller.

Oh, and othe stupid eBay stuff - they put maximum postal amounts on some stuff, for a book around £3.50 which is far too low for most hardbacks. I understand that they are trying to ensure that buyers are not ripped off by excessive postage amounts but even so.

Right, must get it all in perspective rather than being too bothered but my conclusions so far are:
1) Always send recorded and insured even though the resulting high postage costs may put potential buyers off
2) Only sell on eBay as a last resort

Resolution made by Paypal in favour of buyer - utter BS but was expected and I was resigned. Will be interesting to see how my Post Office claim will progress, might at least get something back that way.

The eBay Flite issue is also almost resolved although the Belgian guy has turned out to be highly unreasonable, which I should have guessed. Attached is a photo of said Flite which he thinks is 'well used' and he can get new Flites for £21 at his LBS so this was too expensive. As a gesture of goodwill he said he'd keep it if I could provide a refund that would have left me with a tenner. Unsurprsingly I said 'no, send it back and I'll refund' but then he got stroppy about sending it back without me paying postage of, and you'll like this, £8.50 non recorded. For a Flite. He could do it recorded but for an extra fiver. So £13.50 return postage. For a Flite. Should really have stuck to my guns, after all the ad said 'No returns' but life's too short. It is arse though.

Two lessons:
1) Want a cheap Flite? Go to Belguim.
2) Want to get something off eBay and resolve with no issue for you? Buy off ededwards

I really must change my avatar to a muppet.

Attachments

• !BWZ,QYgBmk~$(KGrHgoOKi8EjlLm(rUzBK(OGzs7vg~~_35.jpg
    !BWZ,QYgBmk~$(KGrHgoOKi8EjlLm(rUzBK(OGzs7vg~~_35.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 357
ededwards":2q1zb7uv said:
Resolution made by Paypal in favour of buyer - utter BS but was expected and I was resigned. Will be interesting to see how my Post Office claim will progress, might at least get something back that way.

The eBay Flite issue is also almost resolved although the Belgian guy has turned out to be highly unreasonable, which I should have guessed. Attached is a photo of said Flite which he thinks is 'well used' and he can get new Flites for £21 at his LBS so this was too expensive. As a gesture of goodwill he said he'd keep it if I could provide a refund that would have left me with a tenner. Unsurprsingly I said 'no, send it back and I'll refund' but then he got stroppy about sending it back without me paying postage of, and you'll like this, £8.50 non recorded. For a Flite. He could do it recorded but for an extra fiver. So £13.50 return postage. For a Flite. Should really have stuck to my guns, after all the ad said 'No returns' but life's too short. It is arse though.

Two lessons:
1) Want a cheap Flite? Go to Belguim.
2) Want to get something off eBay and resolve with no issue for you? Buy off ededwards

I really must change my avatar to a muppet.

you cant win no matter what, in my case I had proof of postage proof of delivery and still lost the item and my money. As the PO said they'd delivered it, I had no chance of claiming anything.

I suggest:

muppet.jpg

Back