Ebay Etiquette

There's a way of folding wire bead tyres to get them smaller for shipping. I would get the buyer's consent before doing so though, considering they sound difficult.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/video/tire-folding.html

As for posting, unless you say that you will only charge actual shipping cost, you are under no obligation to do so. It's also acceptable to charge for your time and effort, packing materials, petrol/bike wear to post office.

If people aren't bidding based on the total price including shipping then they're idiots and should be subject to idiot tax.

All that said, the seller i just got an explosif off gave me a refund because he overestimated postage by $25 and it was greatly appreciated.

Crikey, I find all this amazing. If the buyer agrees to a rate by putting in a bid, then he should not bloody whinge about it. If the seller subsequently reduces that, cool, if not then it is tough?

For items worth more than £30 (the PO limit for liability on First Class post, I think) I always post recorded and pass on the cost - too many scrotes saying stuff has not arrived. For anything large I always use a courier, about £7-9 covers most bike-related stuff within the UK - hence extortionate postage is unnecessary and annoys me but if I don't like it I don't bid.

Tell him to ram it.

(Oh, forgot, you can't as he can leave -ve feedback and you can't defend yourself anymore...)

South Bound":15qg7h7c said:
Crikey, I find all this amazing. If the buyer agrees to a rate by putting in a bid, then he should not bloody whinge about it. If the seller subsequently reduces that, cool, if not then it is tough?

Bear in mind that we're judging off an email that none of us except Kev has seen from someone who possibly doesn't have English as their main language. What they meant to say and what they actually said could be two very different things.

Like I said before, you know what you buy and what the shipping is so whats the problem.

And if you dont speak or understand english, dont buy. If I find something on the Italian or French ebay I only bid if I'm for sure what it sais. Otherwise it's passing by.

Dave_H":1g5wgx1e said:
South Bound":1g5wgx1e said:

Bear in mind that we're judging off an email that none of us except Kev has seen from someone who possibly doesn't have English as their main language. What they meant to say and what they actually said could be two very different things.

Dave_H, Devil's Advocate ;)

You're right Dave, only I have seen the email. Its not aggressive but it is very very poor English (far worse than my pigeon French/German/Spanish) and I'm pretty sure he's used a translation tool to write it.

I said I will combine the shipping costs. One small item fits in the box and adds a little weight to the larger item. My point is that post-auction shouldn't be the time to try and negotiate the advertised cost. Or tell me I'm wrong?

Martin - I agree with you. I know my French and German are poor. If I buy from ebay.fr/de I always double check what I'm bidding for, how I'm going to pay and what my total cost will be.

MadCowKev":21udador said:
Dave_H, Devil's Advocate ;)

Just someone who buys things from Germany from sellers who don't accept Paypal but I fail to understand the point. :LOL:

MadCowKev":21udador said:
Its not aggressive but it is very very poor English (far worse than my pigeon French/German/Spanish) and I'm pretty sure he's used a translation tool to write it.

I said I will combine the shipping costs. One small item fits in the box and adds a little weight to the larger item. My point is that post-auction shouldn't be the time to try and negotiate the advertised cost. Or tell me I'm wrong?

If it's going to save him a few pence/quid/cent/euro then it has to be worth asking. I've done it before with UK purchases - asking the question costs nothing and doesn't really cause you any pain.

If that's not the case and he's saying your pricing is wrong then that's very different...

I think as long as the postage cost is clearly stated in the add then there should be no reason for complaint.

Chris.

Back