East Midlands Area chat and rides thread

Agghh the penny has dropped :roll: Riding slicks in a muddy winter was a 'less rubber less mud' weight-saving ploy.

:cool:

you need a very good tyre that sheds the mud instantly and im not willing to use one with that sparse a tread as it would wear out in a week on the road

a normal knobblie would just end up slick anyway and a heavy slick at that

so a semi slick is perfect as there isnt any tread to pack out with mud so a lot less rolling resistance but enough on the side to dig in on a corner

a high gear is less likely to spin the wheel as its all about the low speed torque . a short stem and set back post keeps the weight over the rear so more grip keeping the front light and less wear where i do have a bit more tread than the rear

this is after being too lazy to change from a slick to a tyre with tread one day after grabbing the bike from the turbo trainer and realizing the rear was just as good in the mud . i was a lot quicker that day through not churning up the ground

Perry are you coming Weds night? If so are you riding singlespeed? I was thinking of going singlespeed.

Dropping like flies - Colin can't make it now :( (He's off to Morzine on Saturday and all - lucky so and so)

Leaves Rob, Simon, Tony, John (is he still coming?) and me. Weather looks good at least :D

As far as I know John will be with us. I put the invitation out to a couple of runner / biker friends but one is definitely away on business and the other, Andy, has been away for a couple of nights but I think returns today. He is obsessively fit so could well turn up. I always thought he would make the perfect single speeder as he used to flog his old heavy non maintained bike-shaped object round the Ticknall loop in one high gear no matter what the conditions.
See you later.

Back