Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

oldave":di55epz6 said:
I expect I've shown it before, but I really do like my geared Kili - I must do, I've owned it longer than any other bike bar one by quite a long way. A truly useable bike:

oldave":di55epz6 said:
And .... I like it so much that I have an identical (framed) one as the winter single speed!

What year are these frames? I don't see canti hangers and the seatstays have a nice curve to them.

The later fames were much lighter. I weighed my 91 Traverese Hydrotech e-stay at 2.85kg and the 92 Tufftrax Elite was 2.48kg :shock:

As far as I know (same attributed "date" came with each), 1992/93.

The blue and white one was one of a batch that were being hawked as "Ritcheys" - on the strength of the drop outs! - a couple of years ago. And I think that the all white one was also from the same batch before being powder coated. And the S logo on end of top tube filled in on both.

No mounting points for 'grds nor rack.

And I have a later 853 framed one (wish bone stays - frame and P2s bought on here):

8531st4.jpg

oldave said:
SUPPOSEDLY Tange Prestige - but I don't know and don't really care! They are the "best" riding mtb frames I have owned - and that incls Ti RSP pro race and Marin Ti. And shed loads of other acclaimed stuff.

I agree with you 100% :)
(can we keep it a secret cos they'll all want one) ;)

oldave":8ixt8ts7 said:
SUPPOSEDLY Tange Prestige - but I don't know and don't really care! They are the "best" riding mtb frames I have owned - and that incls Ti RSP pro race and Marin Ti. And shed loads of other acclaimed stuff.

And if you want to sell yours and if it's the right size I'd happily add a third to the set!

Thanks Dave, the weight of the frame makes that believeable and it does sound very thin when you flick it. This one's a keeper though, hands off ;) I have a curved Tange fork for it though am tempted to go for a TB P2 for it if I can find one.

The white and blue one handles very well with its short Project 2s - no idea whether or not they are 3x butted.

When I first had it I ran a 100mm travel bouncer - which it didn't like at all!

Well worth keeping!

You guys may recall my bargain ebay NOS 97 Protrax frame?

I know this build is not really for the purists among us... I wanted to create a Saracen that would be a sort of homage to the mid late 90's Saracens.

I tried to keep all the finishing kit as 'silver' as possible to create the right look even though all the parts except the frame are bang up to date.

I am still waiting for some parts - Thomson SP and Gobi XM saddle etc..

I'll get some better pics up soon....

Cheers,

Chaser.

Attachments

• saracenbuilt.jpg
    saracenbuilt.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2,323
Thanks oldave,

Yes, they are Pace RC 31 Ti.

They are the shortest modern forks I could find @ 420mm

Cheers,

Chaser.

Early Saracen

Hi, I have a Tufftrax (about 1990) Bright Yellow. Never been any trouble. Still as original apart from tyres. Does anyone know what the headset size is? (I assume it's 1 1/8" but not sure how to check). I want to get some suspension for my old age.

Back