Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

An e-stay, lovely, perfect for British ground conditions, I will look out for one, and possibly transfer my current XT and Suntour mix to it, or for the first time try out maguras. That black e-stay that is around here somewhere is ideal, (I have always had black bikes, black has a timeless style of it's own).

No worries about basic tubing and stuff, I believe the snobbery about it all is just that, snobbery, an edge a manufacturer can get over another manufacturer, if you riding to break it, should you, more likely break yourself, if special steel breaks, what force is being applied, are you going to walk away from it, I think cycling is about self preservation as much as fun.

Just as long as a frame has not the weight and feel of an old wrought iron gate, it is good enough for me. Just thinking the bike I have been using for the last three years, an old Raleigh Attitude mtb 'style' bike is just that, a wrought iron gate with wheels.

Hmmmm, an artistic idea old bike frames as gates, or welded into a gate frame, I will think more on that, as I am supposed to be thinking about installation art for college, with a view to creating a steel land sculpture.

Bought this on ebay for £80 and picked it up at the weekend. I'm amazed by the condition of it, so clean! Pics from ebay ad will try and take somemore later if it stops raining

BPnZ7-mkKGrHgoH-DMEjlLlvjJvBJ0honYz.jpg

BPoj6rwBGkKGrHgoH-CMEjlLl0rDjBJ0l-g.jpg

That is sweet, well done, and it looks original bar the pedals.

I know I should'nt, but I am thinking to look out for an older Saracen, an e-stay and go with my past ideas for a british bike for british conditions. My current '93 tufftrax is just on the edge of the style I like, but it does not have the refinements of the older frames, I feel they tried to maintain the look, but cut corners and made up for it with shiny decals to make it look more 'sporty', perhaps what I have is where Saracen turned, but then I have not seen many later Saracens bar the multi coloured rusty full suspension junk that the bin lids around here seem to have.

Here's my Saracen, a '93 Kili XTR Elite:

Picture534.jpg

The original XTR M900 cranks, hubs and brakes have been replaced with Middleburn RS2, Hope sus & Ti-glide and Dia-Compe 987. The M900 mechs and STi shifter/brake levers remain. Cassette will also be M900:

Picture535.jpg

Picture536.jpg

Picture539.jpg

'Fluted' (or 'ribbed') downtube:

Picture541.jpg

Tange Ultimate Ultrastrong/Ultralight tubeset:

Picture542.jpg

The Pace RC35s need a good old service & some replacement elastomers. A general clean up and a decent stem & bar and I'm away!

Corduroyboy":1bb9n4ht said:
Iwasgoodonce":1bb9n4ht said:
Very nice indeed! Was that the top of the range bar for a titanium model?

Aye! It was that - with an original price tag of 2250 quid! :shock:

Cor Blimey Guv. I remember getting my (at the time) range topping Kili Flier Comp in 1991 ('twas a 90 frame). I will never forget the look of horror on my mum's face when she realised I was going to spend £799.99 on a bike! I had managed to save some of my student grant mainly by eating only Welsh fresh air and had decided on the Saracen. I bet yours is so much lighter than mine. And M900 of course!

Back