Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Re: Can't beleive my bike is retro!

philshort7390":3duhg9pv said:
Just found this forum, and I am staggered to think my Saracen Limited Edition is retro - but I guess it is knocking on now. Much like myself. It's black with green Limited Edition stickers, not sure what age exactly but probably early to mid 90's.

I was just trying to find out what the wheel is (without having to trudge down to the bike shed through the snow!) and came across this site. I need a new wheel because the freewheel has failed on mine, and would like to use an original part if possible.

If anyone knows where I can get spares for this bike I'd appreciate any pointers.

OK, dragged it out for a photo shoot, light is going so apologies for quality.

saracen.jpg

From trawling this thread I'm reckoning a 91 or 92 Limited Edition, possibly based on a Safari. It's on all original parts, including the original Ritchie MegaBite gumwall tyres, which look fit to burst. It's been used as a workhorse, on it's last real outing in Cornwall it towed a trailer with our Tibetan Terrier in.

Sorry no one got back to you on this. Most likely a 92 and possibly based on a 91 tufftrax frame. There are a few of these around and they are very nice. Best place for parts is either here (parts wanted thread) or e bay. Also many good bike shop (not halfords etc) will be able to fit a new freewheel to your existing hubs, 7 speed stuff is still available.

Keep the biek running it will last for years, some new tyres would be good, again cream walled ones are available now and then on ebay if you want to keep it original, and the best thing you can do for an old bike is give it new gear/brake cables that will make a huge difference.

And yes that traverse is gurt lush! Amazing how well the old powder coat comes up on these with a tiny amount of T-cut and a large amount of OCD and nothing else to do for a few evenings!

rupeww":1nto798j said:
And yes that traverse is gurt lush! Amazing how well the old powder coat comes up on these with a tiny amount of T-cut and a large amount of OCD and nothing else to do for a few evenings!

Agreed, Traverse looks brand new :shock:

Great work...

"Managed to give the Traverse a good clean, surprised how well the powder coated frame has come up."

That is just splendid! Love it.

Well as a bit of a long-time lurker on this forum, I'm going to contribute my 1997 Saracen Kili Ultra Ti to the mix.
Only just signed up on here, I'm much more active on STW under the same username.

Saracen custom built this bike for me in 1997 - I couldn't afford the XTR it was supposed to come with so they took the Ti frame/forks of the Kili Ultra and built it with XT from the next model down which was jolly nice of them. Hence why the frame only says "KILI" on it rather than "KILI Ultra".
Over the years I upgraded it; it's got a full XTR M952 groupset on there, 1st generation CrossMax wheels, 10th anniversary special edition Syncros Ti seatpost and a retro Pace stem. Weighs 20.4lb. Immaculate condition - mostly cos I want to sell it!

Haven't used it in a while but this bike has won several XC races in its time. Last time I took it to an event (Mountain Mayhem about 4 years ago) someone offered me £400 for the full Ti forks there and then!

Sorry for the slightly rubbish phone pic, I'll try and get some better outdoors shots at some point.
8477925263_60f3be1626.jpg

Back