early 90's Specialized Rockhopper (wip)

raymondluxuryyacht":3jg9lnd9 said:
Do I measure the width of the bottom bracket shell across the frame rather than the outside dimensions of the bottom bracket unit ?
Yep.
If so, it measures 68mm spot on. I was especially surprised that the rockhopper would be 73mm because the '3a' code was mentioned which, according to sheldon brown, relates to 68mm bottom bracket shells.
I have a feeling Specialized started putting 73mm BB shells on Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers at the same time they oversized the top tubes to 31.8mm. I think that was around 1990 or 1991, but don't quote me. The 3A code means nothing to me. Do you have a link to what Sheldon has to say about it?

That is really bad news if headset is jis as I've got a tange levin in the post which is iso and I've no idea where to get a jis one.
There are plenty around. The problem is that a lot of the time people don't know they've got them until they try to fit them to an ISO frame. Still, I could well be wrong about yours. The only way to be sure is to measure your frame and fork, or the headset you're removing.

tell a lie, 3a isn't mentioned, but the 3 is...but I suppose it could be a code relating to something other than width ! the codes are under the 'accuracy' section here->http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

mmm, I'm jealous - paint quality is great on these, and I love the colour.

never found one in my size, but Mrs Clownfish will never part with hers...

rock01.JPG

whoopsy, thought I had email alert on this topic. Did not.

thx for all the replies.
Will measure axle length and BB size. But I already know it's 73 by putting it next to a 68 one.

I did some polishing with Commandant 4 on it and some waxing afterwards. The green paint is really nice and comes up nicely.

So far I first have to gather parts and decide wich project I'm gonna finish first (I spread my focus to much at the moment):
- red '97 Specialized Rockhopper with the bend fork
- this Rockhopper
- an emerald green '83 Peugeot PFN10 racing bike

do! so much nice things to do in such a short time :X

Back