Dynohub

Nieky

Dirt Disciple
So in my quest to make the Carlton frame I was given roadworthy I stumbled across a steel rimmed wheel with a Dynohub laced into it. I have given it a bit of a clean, and tested it as per Sheldon Brown by holding a key across the contacts. I was surprised it still produces a spark. It feels a bit notchey ( not sure how to describe it). I haven’t had a chance to look at the bearing races yet, but provided they are ok my question is as follows:

Is it worth trying to salvage the wheel for this hub? Rim is not in a great state and all spokes are quite rusty.

If not, is it worth relacing it into a replacement rim? And if so would anyone be interested in it? I haven’t got the skills to relace it myself. Not looking to sell, but happy to donate to a good home if anyone can make use of it for a build.

B8D49BDF-CF72-485D-8401-68398FEE28E9.jpeg

They always feel notchy - it's the permanent magnets 'cogging' the armature. Modern ones feel exactly the same.

Thanks, that is helpful. Never had one so not sure what it should feel like. Will have a look at bearing races tonight. It is a nice piece of tech 😊

I had one of these on my bike when a youth. To be honest, the light output was poor, candle yellow at best, you certainly couldn't see an unlit road.
As lights are lifesavers both to see and be seen, and you can get a far better cheap led set for less than a tenner, I wouldn't use it. Plus they weigh a ton

I had one of these on my bike when a youth. To be honest, the light output was poor, candle yellow at best, you certainly couldn't see an unlit road.
As lights are lifesavers both to see and be seen, and you can get a far better cheap led set for less than a tenner, I wouldn't use it. Plus they weigh a ton

I was surprised by the weight, they are indeed heavy things.

Just realised I may be able to date it by the serial number. Serial number reads 356. Following this guide I take that to be March 1956. Does that sound reasonable?

4FA0DF7D-26E1-4206-AAEB-D2A8FE79622A.jpeg

Attach angled vanes to the spokes, put it on a pole and use it to create cheap wind energy.....or at least that is something I am going to try with one I have (as a science project with my sons) 😁

Cool idea, good education for the young uns in terms of physics, recycling and green energy 👍

Will have a look at bearing races tonight. It is a nice piece of tech 😊

Be careful, IIRC they are easy to demagnetise, ideally you fit a keeper ring round the armature. But a quick peep inside and a squirt of grease is bound to help.

Apparently they are much improved with modern LEDs - which only need a couple of watts.

Be careful, IIRC they are easy to demagnetise, ideally you fit a keeper ring round the armature. But a quick peep inside and a squirt of grease is bound to help.

Apparently they are much improved with modern LEDs - which only need a couple of watts.

That is a good idea, I have a 1960s headlight lying around, I may butcher that and put some LEDs in.

They are desperately heavy (no rare-earth magnets back then, and that huge steel shell) but they do spit out about 2W, enough for most LEDs and especially the 1.5W rated lamps.

Back