Dutch Cargo Bike

JCS

Kona Fan
I bought this bike on a whim after seeing it for a very good price in the local classified ads. It's a Dutch cargo / city bike, and it has totally surprised me how comfortable it is to ride! I have been using it a lot.
It is a really good cruiser - single speed, drum brake, fat tyres with an upright riding position. Very simple bike. You can get some good speed on it, plus it has a large carrying capacity.

1664644746342.png

One of the things that was missing when I got it was the spring that attaches the fork to the down tube. Never had a bike with one of these before, but it's crucial to this big old thing - it makes the front end much more controlled.

1664644875898.png

The tyres are 28 inch x 2 inch. Super comfortable.

1664644932446.png

It makes my Kona look pretty small:

1664644990116.png

Google turned up a Dutch website selling them new:

1664645156782.png

Mine still needs some TLC but it rides great already. One of those bikes that takes you by surprise and becomes a favourite before you realise.

Anyone else got something like this?

I have had several. But I am Dutch so it would have been more surprising if I hadn't. We call this particular ladies bike an "opoefiets", or great granny bicycle. As I said in another thread, the designs of all "Dutch" bicycles are originally British. But don't let that spoil your fun. ;-)

Back