Dura Ace 9 Speed Blues

Re:

Thanks for all your great suggestions!

I'm using a KMC 9 speed chain and I don't think that I can lose any more
axle width as it's pretty close to the inside of the dropout as it is.

I like the B screw suggestions and that the hanger might be slightly skew-wiff.

Here's a view - all comments appreciated.

Re:

Can't see the l/h drop out, but from what I can make out, looks like you may have leway with washers on the axle maybe.
B screw and drop out alignment also good points, has to be one of these options

Re:

Wel spotted - it's a DA 7402 hub. I think I'll start off with the alignment as it does look slightly squint and take it from there.

Thanks again, chaps!

:cool:

Double check you've routed the cable properly in the mech. I spent months diagnosing a similar issue which turned out to be I.D.10t error ;)

Re:

I don't think that I can lose any more
axle width as it's pretty close to the inside of the dropout as it is.
By 'it', do you mean the smallest cog? If I've understood this correctly, and you can't shift into the smallest cog, even with the limit screw doing no 'limiting' at all, the cassette needs to move away from the drive side dropout, not further towards it. i.e. you need to get an axle spacer off the non-drive side (if there is one) and transfer it to drive side, which, if you do it, will necessitate re-dishing your wheel to centre the rim.
That's how it would work pre-index anyway. The fine points of 9 speed adjustment is way out of my depth.

Re:

I'm assuming that the cable is clamped under the anchor bolt than above it, as you look at it. There is far less of an angle on the cable that way.

As for the hub itself, I've ordered a 9 speed DA with the titanium freehub, so should be more fitting and be a little lighter too!

:cool:

Swapping chain etc. won't help the mech to be in the right place for the bottom two gears. The issue I think is that you have quite an unusual dropout design. It's both thin and inset far to the left (close to the centreline of the bike). If you fit a couple of washers under the mech hanger bolt to space the whole mech body rightwards I think you will have your solution.

The first click actually pulls a little more cable than the others to take up slack in the system, hence why it's wrong into the first shift.

You might be surprised. The cable clamping point isn't always the obvious way round. Also didn't the DA 9 speed mech have two modes? One clamping point for legacy 7/8 speed compatibility and another for 9sp+ (compatible with all other non DA shimano indexing)

Back