Dura Ace 8 Speed Freehub Removal Tool

Just back from the post office - with good news, I think. The nice lady at the counter told me that thanks to the small size and weight of the tool, it does not have to be sent as a small packet but that it can be just put into a "bubble"-envelope. This cuts the shipping cost to the UK down to about 4 pounds (including the envelope itself + insurance which is allegedly automatic with this service). Sounds better to me than the original price I found through their website:)
Anyway, how should we practically do it now? You can send me you addresses to my e-mail (kambium@kambium.cz) if you wish. And payment? Would PayPal be OK for you? Or other options? Let me please know. Will be back home later tonight so I may reply with some delay again.
Jan

I wasn't that sure myself if the absence of the extra shaft on the one side of the tool would not make the tool useless. That was also one of the reasons why it took me that long to come back to this forum thread - I wanted to try it first. I also had an old wheel with a Dura Ace 8 freehub which I was not able to remove with the tool I made myself some time ago. The freehub was too tight, so I damaged the self-made tool (it was not hardened). So I bought this professionally made tool that I just recently found in Internet, fixed it in a vise, slid the whole wheel with the freehub over the "star" of the tool, and turning by the rim of the wheel, I was finally able to remove the freehub. Just before that, I heated up the freehub thread area of the hub with a mini gas torch just to make the outer thread expand a little (at least that's what I thought it would do). And even though I still had to use just about all my strength to loosen the freehub, the tool did the job, although you can see some very tiny dents just where the tool and the freehub had contact (see attached picture). However, as I wrote, I really had to exert my whole strength...
This is my experience just from a couple of days ago.
And sorry, this story got somewhat long :)
Jan

Attachments

• Dura_Ace_tool_LR.jpg
    Dura_Ace_tool_LR.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 193
great stuff, jan and many thanks for all your efforts here!

i'll take one please!! paypal payment on it's way . .

craig

Thank you Craig, however, my PayPal mail address is different from the one I use for communication now. It's krausik{at}volny.cz. It should be GBP 12,50 in total (I calculate 1,50 as the "share" for the shipping of the tools from the manufacturer to me). Would that be OK?

Also, send me please your address, I will send the tool to you tomorrow.

Have a nice rest of the evening.
Jan

The total cost including shipping is £12.50 GBP.

There is no need to hurry with the payment, just please send me your address so that I can ship the tools at once when I go the post office today. Thanks in advance.

Jan

Back