Drop Bar Pace RC200

Re:

That's a bit bonkers but I like it :D

lends itself well to its new lease of life :cool: bet its a bit of a stiff ride.

Re:

I did think it was going to be too stiff - so much so that I have a use suspension seat post in the shed. :D Never needed it though and probably done close to 1000 miles on it at this point. The carbon cross forks are fairly forgiving.

Nice old rolls saddle helps of course but only thing I would like to fiddle with a bit more is the stem its still not quite right could do with same height but an inch less length. ummed and ahhed between that stem and the next length down and came to the conclusion I needed one in between.

Not going to scare any hard core roadies but my cake intake is always going to stop that ;)

I can only say its different......it may be a grower. Still a nice build all together and the best bit is that you ride it.

Really nice! A great build and you won't see another :)

Someone kindly PM'd and asked for a full spec list and some more photo's so here we go.

Pace RC200 F8 powder coated with Red and sparkle top coat from ArmourTex
SICC Carbon/Alu steerer 1 1/8" cross forks with IS mount.
Hope Mark 1 1 1\8" Headset.
Ritchey 100mm adjustable stem.
Bontrager Road Bars (narrow/compact)
WTB SX24 700c/29er rims (narrow enough for 23c road tyres and wide enough for 29er tyres.
Deore Hubs
Avid BB7 Road mechanical disc callipers. (suitable for road or canti lever cable pull).
Syncros Ti BB 113mm
Middleburn RS3's with ATB spider
Stronglight Road Chain rings
Schwalbe Lugano Kevlar in red. 700x23c
Thompson Seat post
Comfy comfy Rolls saddle
Onza HO's powder coated to match frame.
Disk compatible replacement drop outs. (thanks to GilM)
Replacement Pace Decals in white & silver head badge (thanks to GilM)

Campagnolo Chorus 10speed Ergo's worn but functional
Campagnolo Centaur 10speed rear mech (gorgeous!)
XT 9 speed front mech (had a real struggle getting a front mech to fit the pace seat tube that also coped with the range on the rings). Huge tension in the mech cable. Suspect chainline is slightly dodgy.
Ambrosio 10 speed Campag spaced Shimano splined cassette - the solution for those who want the devils offspring of ShimNolo
KMC 10 speed Campag Chain.

Random assortment of rainy day pics (click to expand)

I've a similar project on the go with an rc300 frame- forks are a bit of a sticking point for me so interested to know about your choice there- currently have an exotic carbon MTB fork to go on, but know it will look a little silly with the 700c wheels given I had a similar setup before. I'm between going for a hybrid fork and 26 " wheels at the moment, though the latter means selling things I would rather not. Anyway, rambling- interested in your choice there-!

I would like to say the choice was well thought out but it wasn't it was a simple posting in the '98 wanted section for a pair of cross forks, think the seller offered me a set of Orbea's or those ones. Plus 700c cross should have enough vertical clearance for a decent 1.9/2.0 26" tyre like a smoke.

The choice for disc's was a bit more deliberate. All my bikes have some form of disk - but in particular I wanted to be able to convert this one back to an MTB reasonably swiftly, obviously can't do that with a canti fork as the canti mounts are in a different place. Plus things like the 26" to 700c canti mount adaptors are fugly.

With this version - I can drop out the 700c wheels and drop in an MTB disc wheelset - all I have to do is make sure I keep the same disc size, and keep a spare Ambrosio cassette handy or whip the other one off. If I want to I can also play around with variations on the 69er, 96er, 76er and 67er should total madness take hold. Don't reckon it would actually work but would be fun trying.

I also have a Pace RC31 Type R that was a candidate for this build but since it was going to be almost totally road use I figured a curvy fork was the way to go.

As I mentioned I did last years RideLondon 100 on it and I was surprised at the (friendly) recognition the frame got. A lot of 90's MTB'ers in the current crop of Mamils.

The squeaky bearing in the Onza that started after mile 1 was less well received.

Latest posts

Back