Drilling Cracked Rims - Result !

gump":1rhik2on said:
doctor-bond":1rhik2on said:
I'm not an engineer - and I don't even have the sense to always wear a bike helmet; but I've a horrible feeling that someone, someday might not have the wit or irony detection needed to properly enjoy this thread.

Would it be too uncool for someone to state - for the record - what happens when a metal sidewall gives up with a tyre on it? I'm sure I read on the internet that it's not pretty.

Pious emoticon.

I'll state for the record.... its shit.. this mod is poo, don't do it :evil:

Exactly. Everyone knows the right fix is to have it welded up. Any decent local ironmongers can do it. Just ask for a stand and a long-weight.

doctor-bond":2bctvk58 said:
Would it be too uncool for someone to state - for the record - what happens when a metal sidewall gives up with a tyre on it? I'm sure I read on the internet that it's not pretty.

Pious emoticon.

If you use a metal beaded tyre then it will compensate for any weakness the crack may have caused. Just steer clear of the folding kevlar tyres

Remember kids - only use cracked and drilled rims with metal beaded tyres. You know it makes sense. Other than that this mod is completely safe.

Suppose I had better pipe up. Glad to see people get the irony of it all and can have some fun, and moreso to those stepping in to point out the obvious to the naive....better safe than sorry.

a) A rim will crack without warning. This one cracked while stationary at work. I noticed it just setting off by the brakes rubbing. I consider myself fairly lucky I noticed earlier and so had chance to let some pressure out of the tyre to help avoid a nasty incident.
b) I also had a Kevlar bead tyre, so this made it worse due to the lack of a steel bead tyre which would act like a "safety belt".
b) It's difficult to see, but there is a significant buldge. I had to ride with the canti straddle unhooked it was that bad.

Drilling a cracked rim, no matter what hole diameter is pretty useless; it doesn't solve the issue when the rim starts to bulge and let's be honest the whole rim where it's not cracked is on it's very last legs - assuming equal wear which is more than likely. The rim is now in the bin where it belongs.

Woz":17f4jd8k said:
The rim is now in the bin where it belongs.

080509-biketable1.jpg

Woz":2pq34bwf said:
Drilling a cracked rim, no matter what hole diameter is pretty useless; it doesn't solve the issue when the rim starts to bulge and let's be honest the whole rim where it's not cracked is on it's very last legs - assuming equal wear which is more than likely. The rim is now in the bin where it belongs.

I've not heard the 'for sale' forum desribed as the 'bin' before, I think you should get away with NOS albeit used once.

gtRTSdh":o3031kdp said:
I've not heard the 'for sale' forum desribed as the 'bin' before, I think you should get away with NOS albeit used once.

Now that did make me laugh! Think I've still got time to salvage it before the bin collection in the week. There's probably a nice patina to it now :LOL: :LOL:

Back