Do you fit your own headsets?

Re:

Sparrow Cycles looks cool. I had no one idea the shop existed and I live about a mile away. Thanks for the info, all.

I have a fairly bog standard Tange headset at the most, but would be looking for something sexier - Italian maybe? ;)

Re:

Hi oonaff,

Sounds interesting! Just got to research a little to make sure it'll fit - I guess the Tange is 1 inch threaded... So will all threaded inch headsets work, or us there another level of complexity I haven't considered yet?

Oh, what price your Campag? :)

Doesn't surprise me at all. :(

Not that it gives much away, but here's a rubbish pic of my Tange chap, with added chrome flakes:

IMAG1202-1_zps61390aa7.jpg

Yes. For many years I just used a wood block and a mallet, but eventually smartened up and built a press using bolts, washers and a threaded rod. The purpose built ones are nicer, but this one works just fine and is a big improvement over the block and mallet method.

from what i have been told. and please correct me if im wrong . some ital' steerer and h set threads are slightly different.
basically if you view threads in a way that they are a series of mountains with peaks and valley's, im told the distance between the valley's is the same 1mm?.but the 'pitch' the steepness of the mountain is slightly different but although a tighter feel[stated by some] an italian threaded h set will work on an english threaded fork ! but an english thread h set on an italian fork no too loose.

french threading i believe is a different overall pipe size entirely .
good price coming and photo...your pm

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 391
Re:

Potential issues with replacing one inch headset, roughly in the order of likelihood of manifestation:
1)Stack height conflict
2)Thread standard conflict
3)JIS/ISO conflict

Before buying a replacement headset, know:
1)The stack height of your frame
2)The thread standard of your frame (English, French, Italian, etc.)
3)Whether the 'interference fit' diameters of your frame (crown race seat, internal diameter of ends of head tube) are JIS or ISO

...and save yourself much vexation by making sure the headset you buy conforms to your frame on all three counts.

Re:

Thanks oonaff - will think about it! :cool:

But torqueless has got me thinking that I'll have to find out more about the headset that's in now before buying another one - it's a minefield out there, obviously!

Re:

Just a random thought. Could you not just get another Tange one ?
I've got one, they come in polished or brushed alloy.

Mike

Back