Do CK replace bearings in their headsets ?.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
We've all seen the result on ebay of those who tried to replace the bearing themselves ending up with it in pieces and the outer ring of the bearing stuck in.

But were you to sent it to CK, can they do that sort of thing ? or has anyone had them do a bearing change ?.

My Ti CK lower bearing while not bad, could do with servicing. I could strip out all the old grease/dust and replace it for fresh, but as it's the ti version, I'd be happier if CK just changed both bearings, and i dont mind paying for the cost im sure that would be :LOL:

Just a sudden thought as its just sitting there. Nobody knows for sure Ill email CK.

Re:

There was a service centre in the UK (can't recall, Croydon cycles?) But they could only do basic service, not replacement bearings. You have to send it to the states and cost wise, you can get a good second hand one for the same price, so i didn't bother in the end, but they do do it.

I may recommend you a bike service in Czech Republic - bicyclecafe.cz
They are authorised Chris King service and reseller and they do bearings replacement, too.
Contact them via email or FB fan page, they will help you for sure and shipping costs will be much lower :)

I think I would just be as well sending to the US, if indeed they do the service.
It still would have to cross Europe and theres more chance of it going missing even just down to language barrier never mind crossing several countries. The US is one direct route, to the maker.

I've sent them an email to find out for sure. If not, ill do their recommended service and leave it at that.

I've long suspected the task isnt possible as I think the internal shape of the inner cup is slightly concave due to the cups being warmed before fitting. I think it closes up above the bearing :? This is just speculation. But i reckon theres something different, or likely one of the home mechanics would have long done it and the info would be available.

Not as far as i know, if the bearings are worn or damaged they will replace the headset.

Re:

As stated above they will most likely replace the headset. A friend had a bearing seize to his fork. when he hammered out the fork the bearing followed. CK had him send in the lower cup & bearing & sent him a new lower cup with new bearing installed.

They will not under any circumstances send out just the bearing.

WRT replacing bearings…. They did it to my 15 year old singlespeed hub, it had worn down below spec. Still buttery smooth.

Their bearings are designed to be flushed and cleaned, they’ve got great instructions on the site. Remove snap ring, remove seal and balls are exposed. Hose it down thoroughly with wd40, clean it all as well as you can. Then blow it dry with air compressor. Finally relube, reinstall seal, snapring. When I’m done I can’t tell if bearing is turning or if my finger is sliding.

if you’ve not tried cleaning and relubing.. give it a shot before even considering new bearings.

Back