DIY forks update 2.

nah my work was in Hip/Knee implants (mostly knee) for people in the older age spectrum. Patching up people with advanced osteoarthritis mostly.

Still in Medical device design but very different area now.

the weight alone has me a little worried

thats a similar weight to carbon white bros with alloy steerer!

What epoxy did you use? there are plenty of structual adhesives that if used correctly are stronger than you parent materials, but If you've used Tescos finest i'd reconsider

Don't get me wrong, fair play to you
just push their boundries slowly

diy forks.

indeed,the weight is both the credit and the curse.
the resin is a two part industrial effort,made in yorkshire of course.
not too unlike araldite or 151..just with a reputed extra resistance to heat and so forth.
as indirectly advised i visited woodrups in leeds,yorks, today to chat with
their main framebuilder 'steve'.he reckoned the selected material would be ok in principle and advised that resin bond is actually commonplace
for fixing fork bits together.but,he,the authority here was asking me
to be wary as thorough testing is difficult and alu is not really the
'choice' material for forks of distinction so they may and rupture and
deform without noticing till too late.....ouch! and he emphasised the
intrepidation of this project by mentioning he's seen O.E.M forks
fail and cause havoc and pain.so,thats that i suppose although im gonna hold on to em till my knowledge is upto the task......

glad you dropped by woodrups :)

Scrat, yes you can create very strong bonds using adhesives, but you have to use the right adhesive in the right way. Using it as a bonding filler to join 2 vastly different diameter tubes isnt an effective way to make a good bond.

Material wise you are doing nothing vastly new, I'd be interested to know if the alloy has been heat treated in any way, but other than that the material types youve chosen are all used in commercial product, one way or another. Just some of the combinations steel pins in soft alu to bring up the old chestnut are not advisable.

Back