Discovery channels being dropped by Sky.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2ybinzug said:
It's still on C4 in HD on Freeview/Freesat. Only half are live, but to be honest the others work well on the extended highlights.

Though their website is crap, confusing and has no detail.

The new people running it will hopefully sort it out a bit better.
Well that is part of the problem. Half? Why bother at all, it's all a bit half arsed. Plus the commentary is not as good, and you have to put up with Eddy Jordan talking shit, it amazes me how little insight he provides having been a team owner and in f1 for the time he was.

Anyway, back to discovery. Is it on freesat then?

Re:

No, for some reason they don't wish to go it alone and join another platform. Probably worried they'll not be able to make good enough programme to make money themselves, so need sky's money.
So they lock themselves into a lot less potential viewers.

The half of F1 are either unsociable honours or crap races. I actually got used to going out riding and then watching in on iPlayer and it worked well even for full races.
I like the team they have, preferred it to the sky coverage I have seen.

Anyways 4s on demand is shit and the dealt from race or qualifying is too long and the website is unstructured.

In all honesty F1 themselves should setup their own streaming/TV service and stick a finger up to sky.

Re:

Interestingly Liberty Media is heavily related to Discovery, I wonder how BSkyB will deal with the F1 deals in future?

Re:

I like the sky coverage... Brundle, Hill et al...

I'm considering using a Now TV pass for the weekends the races are on. Still a cost but much cheaper than my current outlay.

Grasping the nettle today. Looked at my sky account and I pay them £75 a month. Looked at my sky planner (which is 56% full and only one recording was off a Sky pay channel.

Looked at BT, Their best package (which has all freeview (including HD channels, Discovery, Eurosport and all the crap the wife watches!) for £18 a month (currently discounted for a year to £12 - but that offer ends tonight.

I will also save a further £6 a month by not paying BT to supply my BT sport feed on a sky box.

Brand spanking new kit as well with the ability to screen UHD and record 600 hours of TV. My Sky HD box is ancient and a bit glitchy and I know Sky will play hardball when it fails...

For F1, I'll suffer the C4 coverage and buy Sky Now passes for the races not covered by C4 that i want to watch live...

I reckon my total saving is well over £600 a year.

Re:

All done... quite a carthartic feeling after 15 years of doling out money to Sky. Lady I spoke wasn't surprised - they've been inundated with cancellation requests.

BT were really good, all the gear arrives this Friday and I should be up and running by then.

Sky have a 31 day cancellation policy - so that means I still need to give them £80 odd quid for nothing.... might flog the old HD box on eBay to cover some of that!

So the final scores on the doors... (my love) :D

BT's best TV pack (means in essence, I lose Sky 1, Atlantic and the sports channels) £18 per month (discounted to £12 for a year if you sign up by the end of today). I also KEEP all of Discoverys and Eurosports offerings. Also gets me UHD on BT sports and others.

Cancel Sky at £75 per month and save £6 from BT for the luxury of watching BT Sport on a Sky HD box.

Net annual saving (before paying for the odd GP on Now TV...) £828 in year 1 and £756 thereafter...

Hmmm, should I plough some of the savings to a new big telly! :D

Re:

I use Kodi ;)

Can't be bothered with all that malarkey, don't mind paying for content that is faff free and easy to record... just hate being ripped off!

Back