Disc brake compatibility

aguycalled80

Retro Guru
I recently had a stolen bike recovered, after 18 months, which is pretty crazy.

However, the front caliper was missing. One of the post mounts on the fork was half-sheared off too, not sure if those things are related...

Anyway, It's a Shimano SLX, M670 model. I really liked these brakes, but finding a replacement caliper has been difficult. I have found newer M7100 calipers though. They both appear to use banjo fittings and I'm hoping that means I can use an M670 lever with an M7100 caliper.

Has anyone done a mix 'n match like this? It seems very unlikely Shimano would come up with different sizes for hydraulic lines and banjo fittings, so I expect it will work.

Pretty much everything hydraulic that shimano has made for the last decade and a half or so is completely interchangeable, as long as you can find or make a hose to fit at both ends.

Re:

"Pretty much everything hydraulic that shimano has made for the last decade and a half or so is completely interchangeable" - not strictly true - shimano changed the bore on the latest mtb brakes. theres 2 sizes bh59 the old size where the fittings are all gold coloured and the more recent bh90 where the insert is silver. From what i understand the hose is more important than the lever to get the correct feel of the brakes. With a m7100 you'll need a bh90 hose and bh90 fittings to link your existing master cylinder to the caliper. these are cheap enough on ebay or aliexpress. eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-SM-B ... 3924292698

table here re hose/fittings https://epicbleedsolutions.com/blogs/ar ... -do-i-need

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah, the change in feel due to less "fluid compressibility" in a narrower bore hose........

Just get the caliper you need, a hose (with correct barbs) bolt it all together.

Back