Disadvantages and advantages of not owning a car

its like having a mobile phone, you spend half your life getting on fine without one then when you get one your lost without it. you also spend all day walking past public phones.

highlandsflyer":22o44fwt said:
More than two thirds (69%) of respondents put driving in the top three most important skills to have in an AA Populus Poll of 20,029. This was slightly ahead of those who chose using a computer (67%) and being able to write (52%).

http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2012 ... kills.html

a poll taken by the AA :facepalm:

for me swimming and foreign languages are far more important, I can get taxi but no one can swim for me

highlandsflyer":3opb867i said:
I can't see how being able to drive would disadvantage anyone, but have seen many disadvantaged by being unable to.

I've listed four people who, and one living in the middle of nowhere my entire life, my mother, have lived life to the full never regretting never learning to drive but many, us included, being impoverished by it.

Like lumos said about mobiles

True I will get another at some point but they are more a necessity if you believe it to be true, 200 years ago people in the very very remotest parts got on well without them. True I enjoy driving and I enjoy its quick convenience sometimes. But there are alternatives more environmental alternatives so ill never knock anyone who can't.

Alison

Try swimming your daughter to the hospital in an area where ambulance response times are pathetic at best. You are right, that poll was by the AA. However, other polls support the idea that driving is seen as a basic life skill for an adult.

Now let us not get into public phones. I have campaigned against the removal of boxes in several locations. They are being removed post haste from most rural locations, and that is a real bind for those who choose to live without mobiles or even home phones.

I wish driving was not so important to society, but wishing doesn't make it true.

Alison":36sh1acp said:
highlandsflyer":36sh1acp said:
I can't see how being able to drive would disadvantage anyone, but have seen many disadvantaged by being unable to.

I've listed four people who, and one living in the middle of nowhere my entire life, my mother, have lived life to the full never regretting never learning to drive but many, us included, being impoverished by it.

True I will get another at some point but they are more a necessity if you believe it to be true, 200 years ago people in the very very remotest parts got on well without them. True I enjoy driving and I enjoy its quick convenience sometimes. But there are alternatives more environmental alternatives so ill never knock anyone who can't.

Alison

What exactly is the middle of nowhere?

highlandsflyer":2aagrd86 said:
Alison":2aagrd86 said:
highlandsflyer":2aagrd86 said:

Alison

What exactly is the middle of nowhere?

To far for a taxi to think it worth a journey, may not be the outer hebrides but to bloody far to walk especially for my mum.

You bring ambulances into it my mother now lives 5 miles from town and the local hospital and less from the ambulance station and nearly died when severely ill it took over 2 hours for an ambulance to reach her, she is out of danger and recovering fortunately, had we been at our old small holding she'd have got there quicker by horse and cart.

Drive if you want and have the dosh, I'm not suggesting we go back to the 18 century. The thread was about my enjoyment of fresh air and exercise rather than stupid money paying about 2k a year maintaining a car when I'm now spending money here on retrobike instead of the garage, also how damn fit I'm getting :D

Alison

Re:

What can I say-I live in California, where cars are pretty much King-public transport outside the big cities is way too slow-I can and do ride my bike faster to some towns than taking a bus, plus I ride pretty much every day, which keeps me fit. That being said, I'll probably never lose my car habit. Right now I own 2 cars, an Integra and a '62 Jaguar 3.8 Mk.11 project with a big Chevy V8-can't wait to drive it! It doesn't cost me much beyond about $500.00 a year for insurance, as I own both cars. The Integra is super reliable, and the Jag is gonna be a lot of fun-wouldn't give up either of them...

Attachments

• Jag primered front.jpg
    Jag primered front.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 476
Actually I luv cars, everything about them, like Clarkson, I'm no echo warrior, and given the dosh I'd have a garage like Chris Evans.

But I do enjoy my financially enforced exercise. By the way my mum was Pat. :)

Alison

I am in the quasi lung killer lover camp too Al. I just know, from bitter experience, that being able to jump in a motor and get somewhere fast is a vital skill when you have responsibilities. Very happy to hear you have a healthier life sans voiture. I agree.

I lived for a small time a few hundred miles from the nearest 'village'. Done me no harm, so it has.

Latest posts

Back