dg's early 80's Ron Cooper

Wow, absolutely stunning. There's only one thing I'd change and that would be the hoods, but to be fair that would be me being really really picky! RBOTM contender surely... submit it... you know you want to...

Here's a picture when I got it home a few months back, it doesn't look all bad here but it was crying out for some service, tlc, and removal of non age appropriate bits. I could have used more than I did but there was even more of a mix in parts than I have put on it, and not many of them fitted my vision. Things like the mix of SR and unbranded chainrings, odd rear hub, mixed mechs, no crank dustcaps, would have bugged me forever and even though they functioned well enough and had obviously been chosen/changed over time to suit someone, I just wasn't getting a mojo feeling from them.

IMG_2467 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

IMG_2468 by mrlikabika, on Flickr

Ralph_the_Rohan":160eb7ze said:
Are you local to Southend in Essex? If so I'll keep an eye out for you and wave you down.

Thank you Steve, I am Southend on Sea based, I'll watch out for you on your wonderful Emperor, I'm often out at the weekends and mix in Leigh, Barling, Canewdon, Rayleigh, Hockley etc into my rides, and of course the esplanade, it's always nice on a sunny day to get a run up/down, or even stop for a cheeky Rossi, but if the weather is poor/wet then i'll most likely be on a modern :facepalm:

Congratulations on the August RBOTM as well Sir.....you clearly have superb taste :D

Mr.Toad":160eb7ze said:
see all the little details on RC frames and his frames seem to differ from others. The triangle "C" on the inside of your head tube, the rack eyelet inside of the dropout, "C" on the brake boss, chrome, and how the seat stays join the seat tube. All these are totally different from mine, and a very nice touch I will add.

It's great isn't it, I guess Ron must have been building a lot of bespoke which might be why there are lot's of variation in these details, makes the bikes feel all the more special and individual, adds to the charm and now (sadly) mystery to me, of his work.

Once again thanks all for your kind comments gents.....arm twisted...I'm off to the rbotm thread :p

Back