Dented Titanium Seat Stay

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.
I wrote to Tom Kellogg, he seems to think there is no risk of failure:

"That can't be fully repaired because replacing the seat stay is both very expensive and it would have a huge downside of warping the seat tube significantly. There really isn't any risk of failure even though it is a cosmetic annoyance."

Reactions: Woz
Rather you than me then when you hit a descent & that stay folds while cornering….& a stairway to heaven suddenly appears…….

Rather you than me then when you hit a descent & that stay folds while cornering….& a stairway to heaven suddenly appears…….
Hopefully that will not happen. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just reporting what the frame designer think. That's all.

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated.
I wrote to Tom Kellogg, he seems to think there is no risk of failure:

"That can't be fully repaired because replacing the seat stay is both very expensive and it would have a huge downside of warping the seat tube significantly. There really isn't any risk of failure even though it is a cosmetic annoyance."

Well I will say thank you for getting back to us.

Dent or no dent, have in mind it's a old race grade bike that you probably don't know the full history of. As they say here, nothing is eternal so it's worth regular inspection and just enjoy it without thrashing it and treating it with respect.

Back