Dawes Surefire East London

XTSTIMAN

Senior Retro Guru
Nice colour in need of some love...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I'm tempted by this for my first project...Can anyone give some advice around the sizing/fit for these old Dawes? I'm struggling to find info on the 'SureFire'. Seller has measured 21" from bottom bracket to seat lug which I suspect is too small for a 6'2" rider?

I'm tempted by this for my first project...Can anyone give some advice around the sizing/fit for these old Dawes? I'm struggling to find info on the 'SureFire'. Seller has measured 21" from bottom bracket to seat lug which I suspect is too small for a 6'2" rider?
This should fit you at 6'2", I think a 21" frame vintage mtb will be about the right size for you. Have you got long or short legs?

This bike does look like it needs a fair bit of TLC. I'd ask if the seatpost and stem are stuck, though the seller doesn't sound that familiar with bikes.

What's your budget and where are you based? I'm in south east london, I scan ads all the time looking for retro mtb (sort of OCD habit now). I pass on the larger bikes as I'm 5'9". If you let me know your budget I can send you some links to larger bikes that are bargains on ebay and facebook if you like. If you're after your first project you might want something a little easier to resurrect.

This should fit you at 6'2", I think a 21" frame vintage mtb will be about the right size for you. Have you got long or short legs?

This bike does look like it needs a fair bit of TLC. I'd ask if the seatpost and stem are stuck, though the seller doesn't sound that familiar with bikes.

What's your budget and where are you based? I'm in south east london, I scan ads all the time looking for retro mtb (sort of OCD habit now). I pass on the larger bikes as I'm 5'9". If you let me know your budget I can send you some links to larger bikes that are bargains on ebay and facebook if you like. If you're after your first project you might want something a little easier to resurrect.
OK that would be great, thank you. Budget probably tops £250 but there's flex. Conscious to leave some more money in the pocket if something requires more work/parts. Maybe this one is running-before-I-can-walk. I'm SW london but can travel to SE and the surrounding area easily enough.

OK that would be great, thank you. Budget probably tops £250 but there's flex. Conscious to leave some more money in the pocket if something requires more work/parts. Maybe this one is running-before-I-can-walk. I'm SW london but can travel to SE and the surrounding area easily enough.
That's a good budget for a bike to do a rolling restoration on. I guess you're after a steel rigid frame, no suspension? If you're going to use it in the city and gravel that's prob best. I've got a 20" peugeot though that may be a little small. I'll keep my eyes open for you. If you can get a train out to surrey to collect you'll prob find more options too, rich hunting ground there! I'm in instagram too as @outtherecycles

That's a good budget for a bike to do a rolling restoration on. I guess you're after a steel rigid frame, no suspension? If you're going to use it in the city and gravel that's prob best. I've got a 20" peugeot though that may be a little small. I'll keep my eyes open for you. If you can get a train out to surrey to collect you'll prob find more options too, rich hunting ground there! I'm in instagram too as @outtherecycles
Yep spot on R.E steel frame & rigid. Good tips, I will expand my search Surrey way.

Attachments

• A6F70DE6-253F-47AA-9381-DC284CE2C3F4.jpeg
    A6F70DE6-253F-47AA-9381-DC284CE2C3F4.jpeg
    962.7 KB · Views: 16
  • F1C9D4CB-00DC-4884-AF51-10CE5C8A2EA0.jpeg
    F1C9D4CB-00DC-4884-AF51-10CE5C8A2EA0.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 6ABFD66D-D331-4DC6-AE71-C300D6092C76.jpeg
    6ABFD66D-D331-4DC6-AE71-C300D6092C76.jpeg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 9EA47685-98BC-44EA-84D1-0F14F01B950A.jpeg
    9EA47685-98BC-44EA-84D1-0F14F01B950A.jpeg