Dawes Galaxy 1997

colinbow

Retro Guru
Could anyone confirm headset is 11/8th please? Also want to do away with triple and run a compact double. What bottom bracket size would I need?Thanks Colin PS Want to run a square taper bottom bracket.

Hi Colin,

I bought a 1997 Galaxy a few weeks ago, I am 99% sure that it is a 1" headset, I can go and have a look at mine and try and confirm. The stem is 22.2mm, I don't know if this indicates that the headset is 1".

All I can tell you with BBs is that I replaced mine - original triple chainset - and it's a 117mm spindle, so I guess that you'l need something narrower.

is yours a 'World Tour 97' as indicated by a decal on the seattube? I don't that this means anything, the frame seems the same as any other Galaxy, bar minor yearly changes.

Kevin

For a cheap compact go to SPA cycles on the interwebs and have a look at their XD2 chainset. A copy of the Sugino XD2. It is 110bcd and available in some different lengths. Also black, or silver. It is for JIS square taper axles.
It is of the "hidden bolt" variety but i have not had a problem using it with regular chainrings. They tell you what BB axle to use for the double and triple versions. 107mm and 110mm respectively.

Back