Dawes Fixie

I agree it should have a front brake but I've also seen fixies for sale in Evans at Mcr Velodrome with no brakes :!:

Clean looking bike :) .

Aside from the legalities, riding on the road with only one means of stopping surrounded by large steel objects, weighing several tons, moving rather quickly and piloted by idiots is right up there for a Darwin award :D

Dead Rats":a2idlmrd said:
I agree it should have a front brake but I've also seen fixies for sale in Evans at Mcr Velodrome with no brakes :!:

no brakes allowed on the track.

i know its not the safest option, but i and prefer the look of the bike with no brakes. so thats how its staying.
cheers for the opinions though

My dad used to ride a fixed wheel in the 40s and 50s, he'd' wished he had a front brake at the time after a downhill horror.

Nice clean looking machine though, although Im a 'gears man' :LOL:

cce":z20d9xxj said:
Dead Rats":z20d9xxj said:

no brakes allowed on the track.

Of course not, they had them next to the 'off-the peg cafe racer' type fixies so I just presumed they were all intended for road / hipster use... ;) makes sense that Evans would sell genuine track bikes with their connection to Mcr Cycling Centre.

I couldn't ride mine without brakes, not at any useful speed anyway. Too many lights and emergency stops.

Jonny69":27a0yhxm said:
I couldn't ride mine without brakes, not at any useful speed anyway. Too many lights and emergency stops.

damn right. I hate riding fixed full stop, but then I'm a massive wuss who likes to freewheel round tight corners and stuff ;)

The OP might have a few issues if he tries to fit brakes and toe-clips. With 700c wheels as fitted, the drop to the rims is ridiculous and there are few (if any?) good callipers that will stretch that far.
If he fits 27" wheels (which the frame was originally designed for) then the brake drop is OK, but he'll suffer from bad toe-clip overlap, which on a fixie is not good.
So, catch 22:
700c = good for toeclips, bad for brakes
27" = bad for toe clips, good for brakes
How do I know this? I've tried to do the same thing with exactly the same frame.
My solution? 27" wheels and spds!

Back