Dawes Edge 1993 Resurrection, 12/02/2011 With Story & sp

I have tried to make the thread more readable, added a specification list.

Plus the story of the renovation.

Will try and update the pictures tommrow, if the weather is nice.

Passiflora

Dawes-Man":3bxkqja9 said:
drcarlos":3bxkqja9 said:
Dawes-Man":3bxkqja9 said:
Sorry for the ignorance what on earth is a 'flex'?

Carl.

For example: :)

http://www.mercateo.com/p/245-70470026/ ... 0_FRA.html

Daniel.

Ah I see and with that thin tubing I would tend to agree that an angle grinder shouldn't be used to strip back a small section of paint, unless an abrasive flap wheel or wire disc are used, which I think is probably the case here.

Carl.

drcarlos":1em0tudu said:
Ah I see and with that thin tubing I would tend to agree that an angle grinder shouldn't be used...

Sorry, I call the angle grinder "flex".

But notice this:

"653 - Following feedback from Eddy Merckx that a pure 753 frame was too harsh for certain stages of the Tour de France, Reynolds produced a 653 tubeset which combined 753 stays with 531 main tubes and forks. The 531 used was a thinner gauge than usual produced specifically for use in the 653 set. Eddy and other riders were very pleased with the result, which combined a light, ultra-stiff and efficient transmission with a more forgiving and comfy ride."

Beautifully for a road-bike - but I don't like this tube set on a MTB.

Daniel.

Mate just had to log in and say well done, I still have my fat chance from 1990, would love to have an edge. Actually saw a chap on one at cannock a while back got me all nostalgic.

Should clean up my fat chance, but too scared to ride it being a much harder rider now at it being 20 years old.

:) Thanks for all your replys, I have enjoyed working on the Dawes, the ride is lovely. Unfortunely due to having to split one bike it looks like this might be the one!.

If I do end up keeping the frame and forks at somepoint it will re-surface.

Passiflora

Back