Dawes Chevron restomod

For the gear cable guide on the down tube, the only new one I've found is this one:

which I've just used recently and it works fine (presuming you're using modern bar-mounted shifters).

For the cable guide under the bottom bracket, just buy a regular one like this

- although your frame might not have a hole to mount it, so you'll have to glue it on with epoxy glue or similar.

For the front derailleur you need to buy a 'band-on' one, rather than 'braze-on', although there is actually an adaptor to convert to band-on in case you do buy a full groupset with a braze-on FD. Again, I've used one of these recently and it works fine.

Alternatively, modern FDs also generally have a larger band size than the old 28.6 size, so you would need to get an adapter for that if you get a band-on FD. Something like this:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
For the gear cable guide on the down tube, the only new one I've found is this one:

which I've just used recently and it works fine (presuming you're using modern bar-mounted shifters).

For the cable guide under the bottom bracket, just buy a regular one like this

- although your frame might not have a hole to mount it, so you'll have to glue it on with epoxy glue or similar.

For the front derailleur you need to buy a 'band-on' one, rather than 'braze-on', although there is actually an adaptor to convert to band-on in case you do buy a full groupset with a braze-on FD. Again, I've used one of these recently and it works fine.

Alternatively, modern FDs also generally have a larger band size than the old 28.6 size, so you would need to get an adapter for that if you get a band-on FD. Something like this:

Great stuff. Not just newbies benefitting from all this good advice!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Great stuff. Not just newbies benefitting from all this good advice!

Cheers. I'm part way through a restomod build (I've built it up to test the set-up but now going to get it stripped again and painted), so this stuff is very fresh in my mind at the moment!

I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely my 11 speed 105 stuff works with the small adaptations needed. The down tube guide doesn't allow for barrel-adjusters, but that's the only small down side. Of course there are old band-on guides that have those, but I've not found a modern equivalent.

Back