Cycling in Lanzarote or other foreign parts

Brilliant Richard - sounds like you had a blast and a stone in a week - that's a sterling effort!!

Possibly going next year purely for the cycling so appreciate your efforts in writing down your experiences. Where there many other roadies out & about and what sort of distances can you really achieve in a day given the heat, hills etc etc?

I saw a few roadies about but July is not the best time for training camps etc as manyy people would be riding at home. There were MTbs and electric bikes in Peurto del Carmen.

I cannot give you much idea of distance in a day - fitness was ny problem and i watched the TdF TT today and saw a similar hill to the one i was on and the riders were able to progress with strength up it as i struggled - i know they are pros but the difference was scarey.

when you see the mountains (volcanos) nearby in the distance behind the hotel the mind boggles as to how steep the roads are. Perhaps an email to the company would give you some idea. i think he showed me a map of mountains lasting 75km - honestly i would be home in a box!

Richard

Good man! I'd fancy a similar holiday but with 2 kids under 2, travel, hotels and heat don't make sense at the minute.

Who needs a foreign holiday when NI's in the high 20's! You got lucky coming back to this :)

N

Ian Raleigh":1nf6zfgg said:
What a write up! :D I thought it was cheap to go abroad :facepalm: Think of all the bikes you could have got with that cash :xmas-wink:

Welcome back Richard,

Yes I think you could have bought a very nice bike with that money however, in my house at any rate, money spent on vacation is well invested because it keeps the wife happy.

Steven

N,

Still roasting in Ballymena - but the day we left (last Tuesday) i arrived in Lanzarote with Norn Iron rainwater in my right shoe!!!! We got soaked unloading the bags from the car at the airport. For a superb family holiday give Costa Calero a look - you can get it cheaper if you book your own flights and accommodation we used a travel agent and they get their cut too but we will know for next time. I like the backup of a travel agent for a first trip somewhere, next time we will book it ourselves.

hey Steven,

You know that keeping the wife happy is the best option in the longterm. Had i bought a bike with the money, i would be looking for single accommodation right now!!!!! I did read you post about a clearout in the garage - i totally understand that but if your wife does not let you in - that is a bigger problem!!!

Another superb day here - better get some work done!

Richard

Back