Cycling, big in Korea

Feedback
View
There was a post on here recently about cycling in Japan (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=361180), and I’m just back from a trip to Korea where it seems similarly popular. Notably, I’d noticed that a popular past time for the over 50s there is pootling alongside the Han river in Seoul on extremely expensive Ti and carbon MTBs and road bikes. I’m told the moneyed amongst this generation like to show off :)

The go-to shop for these folks is Hansung Bikes in central Seoul. The very nice chap who runs it has been in the business since the 70s, and it shows! It’s stacked full with all sorts, including retro stuff. My crappy iPhone pictures don’t really do it justice, but there is a vast amount of Ti and carbon in there, and various new and retro parts squeezed in to cupboards and cases.

Moots for servicing (note lack of mud)

Moots for selling. He says he sold 5 Moots just last week (Spring after all), and that the Moots people paid him a visit last year wondering why he was ordering so many :cool:

A bit of M950. There’s various other bits of 90s Shimano, SRAM etc. and even some old mavic rims.

There’s a Moots, a Dean and a Merlin in this pic. The strange Ti-dye thing in the middle is a Korean brand called ‘Scan’. The frame alone on this one is just shy of £3000 at today’s exchange rate. They also come in gold :shock:

Most intriguingly, he also said he has a basement and that he’s got a large amount of 70s-90s stuff in there. No chance on this occasion to nose around, perhaps next time :)

Not sure how many RB’ers get out to Seoul, but worth a look

Some big frames there. Also is it me or am i upside down??

Back