Curly Hetchins. Frame only. With provenance.

Sir Neil d'Menture

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
A nice detailed history, buf look at the price🤯🤯🤯

One bike I'd like to own but, apart from the price, I don't have the knowledge, patience, skill or spare parts to get it back on the road.
Not sure I'd ride it if I had it, and have no intention of going anywhere near Eroica - ever.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Nice! Way before my time but a marque I did get to know well through my late grandfather. It is a fair wedge but in some ways building that up wouldn’t be that difficult. Assuming the bottom bracket and headset that are on it are serviceable. I’d go flip flop hub single speed probably what it had originally. Maybe a Chater Lea chainset, Cinelli bars/stem, a set of 27” wheels and some brakes you’re away. That little shopping list probably as much as the frame is though!

No provenance on mine, in fact the serial numbers are missing as dropouts and fork steerer look like were replaced. Regardless of that, VCC marque experts put it into 1950s built. I don't really care, it rides really nicely and with tough rubbers, bar end shifters and mudguards it makes for a perfect winter bike. And why not, at less than 1/3 of above frame only price :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 13
There were copies made by other manufacturers. Maybe curly stays were the biopace rings of that era.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There were copies made by other manufacturers. Maybe curly stays were the biopace rings of that era.
Not really, they were developed to distinguish builders due to strict rules in England prohibiting name badges to be displayed. They are apparently some vibration dampening qualities to them too, similar to Bates diadrand forks ;) . CT Wallis used both curly stays and Bates type forks.

Latest posts

Back