Creaky back wheel. Any tips to silence the bleeder...

Bit of lube in the QR and the mating faces (axle end/clamping face) fixes many many creaks...........

Hi,

I agree it sounds like the spokes but the only other thing I can thing is the rear dropouts being misaligned if you have had a crash or drop and or (and you don't mention whether you are using quick release) the quick release tension is not right. Even if it is but the rear drops are mis aligned it will enable the wheel to move slightly under force. Oiling the spokes would run down and lubricate this joint eliminating the creak. All that said if the spoke tension isn't right then true or not it wasn't done correctly in the first place.

Hope this helps.

BikeBuilder":120pjalx said:
Hi,

I agree it sounds like the spokes but the only other thing I can thing is the rear dropouts being misaligned if you have had a crash or drop and or (and you don't mention whether you are using quick release) the quick release tension is not right. Even if it is but the rear drops are mis aligned it will enable the wheel to move slightly under force. Oiling the spokes would run down and lubricate this joint eliminating the creak. All that said if the spoke tension isn't right then true or not it wasn't done correctly in the first place.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your advice. ;)

It seemed fine on my little test run before the rain started. :( All of the nipples and eyelets were dry as sticks and a little rusty on the inner surface of the rim so I'm laying the blame at their door.

All I was hoping to achieve was to silence the creak which I seem to have done for the time being. I'll drop it in at a different shop for a re-tension at a later date. I'm lucky if the bike gets used once a week TBH so there's no panic...

Back