Cranks available in 172.5mm?

TheAntsPants

Devout Dirtbag
The old Sugino mighty cranks are starting to show their age at the bb interface, so I'm looking for 172.5mm cranks and wondering what models are available, new or used. I don't care what the bcd or number of arms is, as long as chainrings are easy and cheap to get. None of this XTR incompatibility please!

Given that I don't know when a used pair will appear on the market, I was wondering if there are any models available new as well as used.

I prefer Shimano for the new stuff, but I'll consider most brands for square taper options.

Re:

172.5 tended to be a more road oriented size, but that said, you should be able to find something new from shimano that suits mtb riding, assuming you're after triple rings.

I have a set of FSA on my folding bike, though that has a b386 which is not a standard ht2 fit.

A fair few on Ebay now, most are road, but with that you can at least get 110bcd rings which are retro mtb size, though only 2x.

Hmmm. Are road cranks safe on a mtb? I don't mind modern stuff on my retro mtb, but road components might be a bridge too far! :shock:

That said, I don't need three chainrings these days.

Interesting thread.. I had a biometric measure-up years ago, recommended crank length was 172.5mm. But I've always used 170 or 175, because they're the usual options. I think I should get some 172.5's to see (or feel) what they're like. To be honest though, not sure if I'd really notice, some of my current bikes are 170, some 175 and I get on with both..

Re:

lensmansteve":gwn1n6sl said:
not sure if I'd really notice

I've ridden all three lengths and I get on fine with them all, but I find the 172.5 lets me spin at the most comfortable cadence. It is noticeable if you switch between bikes with different cranks frequently.

Yes, I often ride two or more bikes in a day, and it's noticable, esp going 170 to 175. There's Q factor as well, my bikes vary a bit there too. I prefer a wider Q on my bikes for the rough stuff. Will try a 172.5 triple from Spa sometime, I go for 42-34-24 setups, so I'll just buy the cranks.

The SpaCycle crank looks good and the price is right, but I had a look around ebay and lbs' for chainrings and 110 bcd is harder to find and more expensive that 4 arm 104 bcd chainrings. Are there any non-road 104 bcd cranks in 172.5mm?

I seem to remember Spa did a range of four-arm 104 pcd cranks, rings etc, but I wonder if their regular touring customers preferred to stick to "traditional" 5 arm? You could email /phone them to check. There's still plenty of 5 arm rings available,btw. 34t especially, it's the popular inner ring on compact road chainsets.

Back