Cracked alu dropout on RM Element... Advice?

Re:

Thanks go out to Danson67! What has been able to do in terms of the repair is just an awsome job... No doubt in my mind it will be stronger than it was originally.

[photos and comments courtesy of Danson's photobucket]
20150617_193733_zps7d2nz4yx.jpg

Dropout inside face.
Huge amount of material removed to make space for the hanger. The step in thickness below the front bolt hole adds an extra stress raiser to the mix along with the likelihood of nicks and scratches starting cracks from the axle cutout.

20150617_193846_zps6z3xwdui.jpg

Cracked RH dropout
Crack runs from the axle cutout, through the front dropout mount hole and on to the front corner of the dropout window. The dropout is 1/2 thickness anyway because of the removable hanger, so hardly surprising where it failed.

P9144320_zpsqi65yrax.jpg

Crack relieved
Crack sawn out and faces cleaned

P9144321_zpscsaftys0.jpg

Window plug
Plug of 6mm 7005 material cut to fit.

P9144322_zpsdhnjypwf.jpg

Outer face weld.
Could have been cleaner, but not too concerned.

IMAG0650_zpsp9xhbt2o.jpg

Inner face welded
Plug set flush with internal face, bolt hole area filled.

IMAG0658_zpsl7xwzij5.jpg

Inner face sanded flush.
Weld on internal corner removed with Dremel. A few nicks, nothing like as bad as they look in the picture. Always difficult to get in there with a grinder between the dropouts...

IMAG0659_zps8it35ngj.jpg

Outside face finished
Countersunk hole to keep the flush original look. Would be a far better design if fitted with cap- or button-head bolts. The CSK head needs even more material to be removed, and if tightened too much will exert a tension force on the little material that is left....

IMAG0660_zpsznluaven.jpg

IMAG0662_zpsox2gbg0w.jpg

Finished!

Re:

danson67 strikes again!!

Brilliant work as ever, should be loads stronger.

Looks like a design flaw , Great Fix !
My '97 Race Element uses a thick one piece design that looks to be bullet proof.

My other 99 Element has a 97 replacement triangle on it with the same solid one piece hanger. I suspect it originally had a separate derailleur hanger , not sure what year they started the two piece or it could be the race and team frames get the one piece hanger.

Back