Comically Priced Dawes Super Galaxy with £1000 maguras!

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
haha - 1000 pounds for a set of Frankenstein Maguras :LOL:

From what I can see on the pics. is, that there are HS 22 calipiers mated to some HS 66/HS 77 road levers. A combination which was never introduced by Magura.

The price of a set of used HS 22 brakes is arround 50 - 60 Euros. The roadie Maguras HS 66/HS 77, as a complete and original set, is fetching arround 150 Euros on ebay.

Besides that have you checked the last pic. in the ad ? What is the zip tie good for :shock: Pls. dont tell me, that it has to keep the caliper in place, because a qick release stud is in place, but no quick release gear :facepalm:

Thats a dangerous installation :evil:

As were on the subject, what is so special about galaxy and super galaxy bikes? I know 531 etc. are gary just sweet or is there something transferable? Looking for a steel tourer in about 60cm size to take the place of my ally road bike.

HS66/77 did come with the slaves like that, mainly used for CX. Also there were the really rare road calipers. They are fabulous levers, I run them on my tourer...they are rare as hens' teeth, though not in a £1000 way.

The History Man":3m53abv5 said:
As were on the subject, what is so special about galaxy and super galaxy bikes?
Because they do everything so well. Other than the galaxy, you really had to go to a boutique brand/custom build, spend a massive wodge of cash. Or have a touring bike that wasn't anywhere near as good.

They were well specced, not too heavy, durable and relatively cheap.

I know a club mate of mine, upon coming across a large windfall actually had Bob Jackson copy a Galaxy frame pretty much exactly, except for an extra half inch in the top tube. So he had a spangly, light touring frame, with all the braze ons and geometry of a Galaxy.

If i was in the market for a touring frame, i'd be stopping off at the Dawes website fairly early on in the process.

Back