Colnago Seat post clamp

DCU

Retro Newbie
I just bought a 1995 Colnago Elegant. It was packed and shipped from a bike shop. When I torqued the seat post clamp to 5NM the seat post still moves around. I tried to go to 7NM, but the bolt doesn’t want to turn anymore.

I don’t want to force it. Am I doing something wrong? TIA.

IMG_9593.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9594.jpeg
    IMG_9594.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 4
If the seatpost is the correct side then i would say the threads in the male and female parts, of that pinch bolt, have bottomed out and that is why it wont turn anymore.
Either the male has run into the back of the female, or the Female has run out of thread on the male. To test you could take the two parts out, measure the thread lengths of both, and compare that to the width across the clamp. Quick and dirty would be to stick a washer behind one of them, but unless the washer is hard plastic you run the risk of damaging the paint.

I’ll check to see if that’s the case. The seller told me everything is original from when he bought it in 1995. I’m assuming everything was tight prior to him shipping it.

Thread in the male part is too long ...just grind it down a little (2mm), beauty the edges of the screw and screw it back in!

Maybe the seller changed the bolt cause he needed that for another project and gave you this. Come on ...weve all done stuff like that when we sold a bike ;)

Reactions: Nob
Back