Colnago master / best road frameset ever ???

Worth riding all sorts of bikes over the course of the year and deciding what works for you. Then either buy that new dream frame or have one made to your own dimensions.

531brazed":26netfkl said:
Worth riding all sorts of bikes over the course of the year and deciding what works for you. Then either buy that new dream frame or have one made to your own dimensions.

That's a good point. Masters, Supercorsas, Montellos or Super Prestiges' are all great but they just won't be as good as a new custom build stainless steel frame - if you want the best of course.

Not everyone will like the latest material, some want a softer ride, slower steering, or whatever. A frame built for a skinny bloke may be too stiff for a hefty one, etc.
Im trying different bikes out for fun, curiosity, and hopefully to find one I like far more than the others. I suspect its horses for courses, a heavy tourer for camping, a light road for whizzing.....

Re:

Somehow i doubt a Master will be inferior to what my local frame builder will cobble together with stock round oversized tubing and a tape measure.

With the correct sized stem and frame (57cm+80mm), i would imagine the master would be much better than any bog standard tubeset bospoke frame i could get locally?

Re: Re:

jalfk":2d4kh5ss said:
Somehow i doubt a Master will be inferior to what my local frame builder will cobble together with stock round oversized tubing and a tape measure.

With the correct sized stem and frame (57cm+80mm), i would imagine the master would be much better than any bog standard tubeset bospoke frame i could get locally?
reads like you really want a Master, just trying to justify it to yourself.
Make no mistake, the Master is good and will turn many heads.
If you want one, don't seek approval, just go for it.

Re: Re:

jalfk":2ndvlwt2 said:

Depends where local is and what you are defining as bog standard! There are a number of fine artisan frame builders in the UK who will build a beautiful steel (953) frame measured for you. It will almost certainly be better finished than a mass produced Master (some of which are better than others)

If you are looking for someone to confirm your earnest belief that the Master is the best road frame ever, you're probably in the wrong place.

For the record, I don't dislike them and I probably will own one at some point - but because it's pretty rather than the being best.

While I sold my Master X-Lite as too small for me, I am saving up for another. My original Super Piu I bought new in '95, and refurbed in 2012 is still going strong, still rides beautifully, and has been pampered with full C_Record 9-spd Ti group. It simply works beautifully. Aspiration is to get a new Master X-Lite, build with the stock of 9Spd Ti parts I have. Whether I'll ever get there I don't know as I keep buying other bikes before I get to the target... I already have a full shed, 3 bikes in bits in the loft, and a wife questioning my sanity. But given an unlimited budget, for me it would be What i've described above, or a NOS C40/C50 built with the same components.

I have a Colnago master x-light and a Pinarello dynalite (Indurain). I have also ridden Raleigh 531 in the past.
All frames feel great and I like 'em a lot. Master feels stiffer, Pinarello feels lighter (although it is heavier).
I would keep the Colnago if I were to choose one. There is a reason why top Colnagos keep their value more than most other frames.

I prefer the Super to the Master. The Master's Columbus MS Gilco tubing is stiffer and a tad heavier than the SL of the Super. Really like the C96 as well, made of non-os Columbus Thron, which is the same as Columbus Cromor.

If anyone wants an ex-Lampre 56x56 Master frame, get it touch.

Back