Colnago - Cable guide repair, which epoxy resin?

Jam_SWorks

BoTM Winner
Specialized Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all, my lovely old school 2008 Colnago road bike had a malfunction this morning. The aluminium cable guide parted ways from the carbon frame. It looks to have been both riveted and bonded originally. I’m going to try source replacement tiny rivets and re glue it. Just wondering if snyone on here can recommend a suitable expoxy resin that would work? Suggestions?

Cheers
James

79F0668C-B906-4DE4-9AEA-F3A2E406FDDB.jpeg 5372636B-4403-4C81-994D-E17EE1E5FFCE.jpeg

Aluminium rivets would be my recommendation (sorry to disagree @mdvineng), its a high stress part.

If you shake the frame, does it rattle? You will most likely have a bit of rivet in the tube.

Any 2 part epoxy will do. Clean all of the old adhesive off the area well and key the surface. You can use a dremal if you are really really careful, otherwise it's very careful hand sanding.

As long as you use the correct rivets for carbon fibre. Std pop rivets will cause the fibre layers to delaminate.
The grey 3M epoxy in the link is used to bond car bodies and aircraft wings and will happily take the shear load of the gear cable.

Thanks guys, yes the rivets were aluminum as I had to remove the remaining bits that had fatigued or corroded. I've managed to find some small aluminum rivets to fit (on order now). There is a one tiny head inside the frame. Sadly access via the bottom bracket being removed does not allow me to remove the loose head. It will have to stay there as a memento! 🤣

That excel composite site was excellent! i settled on purchasing 3M Scotch-Weld EC-9323-2 Black B/A Epoxy Adhesive 50ml Dual Cartridge. Not cheap but seems the right stuff (£44.64 inc VAT).

I'll update once I've done the repair later in the week. Thanks folks! really help.

9323 will definitely do the job, it’s used to stick aeroplanes and Formula 1 cars together! You won’t need the rivets as well as 9323, so you could just pop them in the holes to position the part when you bond it and let the 9323 hold them in place.

Back