Cold weather, no glow plugs, 6 cyclinders and...

Re: Re:

66 triumph daytona":2qeyby8g said:
Dont say its a W123,as thats simply not possible.

Oh yes it is!

http://www.w124performance.com/images/S ... gine02.jpg

My car is a not that crusty but very trusty W210. I'd love a W124 300TD but they are a bit rare these days. I consider the W210 the last of the proper Merc engines with the worst of the Merc bodies. After mine came the 320CDi with its iffy injection but better economy. The w210 reputation for rust comes from SA built cars, the German built ones dont rust - mines SA and has had loads of panels painted at Mercedes by the original owner... I bought mine at 60,000 in June 2015, its on 83,000 and requires a couple of drop links and a good service soon.

I could add an intercooler if I ever had the time plus a few other mods. It is considerably cheaper to own than a later Mondeo.

Merc released a special tool for the glowplugs as the engines got older and the plugs got more difficult to remove. I do have to remove the manifold to get to them all.

Its performance is like that of an older 1980's V8, ferocious acceleration if required but pretty good mpg (I used to get low 30s from my V8s on long journeys) with 45mpg from this big old dumb lump.

I average around 600 to 1000 miles a week so it gets plenty of use.

Most parts get 'stuck' due to lack of use. Not 'alf missus!

There are less than a dozen 'lubricants' involved for most cars. It is worth applying them regularly as a preventative.

We get this a lot with 4x4s coming in for repair, many times it is merely a lack of lube causing a quick degradation and necessitating repair of parts that would otherwise last years. Many years in some cases.

Yes, done all the lubing of various parts.

Got mrs Hm to give it a yank while I flicked but all I got was a groan.

Seems to be far less responsive with age. Now she only opens up occasionally if at all.

Back