Coffee bean recommendations

There are loads of Bialetti-like ones available which work on the same principle. Search on 'moka pot'.

Mine works fine on an electric halogen hob, but make sure you use it on the edge of the ring or else you melt the end of the handle. :oops:

It works brilliantly with a Coleman Peak1 white gasoline stove when camping too.

I only drink espresso and use Sea Island Coffee for treats. Their Jamaican high Mountain is good enough to make your eyes roll backwards into your head. :cool:

Re:

Back to the beans.

I tried HM's recommendation, Taylor's Hot Lava Java and it's very nice, but I think the Tesco Java Sumatra is nicer. Despite the Tesco's coffee only having a flavour rating of 5 instead of 6, I think it actually has a richer, stronger flavour than the Taylor's.

It's available as beans and ready ground; you should try it HM and see what you think.

Thank you, I shall add some to mrs HM's next order. On a slightly lateral point, have you tried Lyons coffee bags? They've been recommended to me for my upcoming cycle tour rather than the weight and bulk of an espresso pot.

Re:

I'd never even heard of them, let alone tried them.

Something to consider if I'm out and about and self catering. :D

The History Man":1wfnkwuy said:
Thank you, I shall add some to mrs HM's next order. On a slightly lateral point, have you tried Lyons coffee bags? They've been recommended to me for my upcoming cycle tour rather than the weight and bulk of an espresso pot.
in the white/green boxes, yep been using for ages now. just normal coffee but gentle and easy to drink. better than most in fact.
not espresso coffee though.
you can get the insulated caffetiere coffee mugs, ok to use but you still need the gound coffee and the bags are just easier. though you do get more choice of coffees.

Re:

Just had my first Lyons coffee bag. Very convincing neutral cup. Recommended.

Re: Re:

NeilM":3o5ga60l said:
If you want lightweight, but still good coffee, try and AeroPress.

Jon got me one for fathers day, love it.

http://www.aeropresscoffee.co.uk/

I don't have any fancy stands or anything, I just put it on top of the cup.
Looks like a bit of a faff. The YouTube clip makes a meal of it.
If I was going to that much trouble I'd just take the espresso pot.

And less mint cake.

Re:

I didn't watch their video.

You put a filter paper in, then coffee, then hot water, then stir, then put the plunger in, the press the plunger down, then drink the coffee.

I use both a pot and the press, as they make different coffee, even with the same beenz. The pot has more depth, the press is more refreshing.

Or, for hard climbs use the pot, for an hour of 5% climbing use the press.

Back